• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Hop Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirem

Reaction score
I am interested in getting some more aroma hop plants

I have cascade, cluster, herbruk(er), goldings, chinook, willamette and victoria.

I also have tettnang that could be mixed up with Ellsass, anyone got an identifaction short of DNA?

I have/had hallertau that I think has died and it grow very different to the rest of the hops. Maybe it was male.

Top of my wants is saaz and then fuggles, but would be interested in others.

I suppose one for one would be a good start.

K

kirem

Might help if you fill out your location field in your profile so taht people know where you are.

GMK,

It shouldn't really matter, I got all the current rhizomes through the post. Do you know if there are any restrictions on posting bare rhizomes through out our sunburnt land?

Anyway I will go and sort it out.

K

no - i got most of mine thru the post.

I refereing to sharing cuttings - i have Mt Hood - which i think is dead and COlumbus that is 1 year old but produced no flowers as yet.

Greetings all hop growers

I am certainly interested in the possibility of some hop plant swaps. I have POR, cluster, hallertauer, hersbrucker, tettnanger and perle varieties, so I'd be interested in any other varieties. I'd probably prefer goldings, fuggles, willamette, cascade and chinook over anything else. I am in NSW and have already started some varieties (POR, tet and hall) for their second growing season in pots in the glasshouse at work. The rhizome of all varieties increased some 20-50 fold from the first season and splitting the rhizome mass to make several new plants was pretty easy. Some are already 1-2 m tall after only a few weeks, and most are throwing many additional shoots. I have begun striking cuttings from these shoots and propagated some plants from smaller rhizome chunks. They really are a weed! A friend grows the cluster, hers and perle for me but it won't be a problem grabbing some rhizome from these or striking some cuttings if others are interested in these varieties

Kirem, I'd be interested in cascade, goldings, chinook and willamette but I probably don't have enough varieties for a 1-1 swap.

If any other growers are interested in diversifying their crop then please post.

Lochrocking

lochrockingbeers said:
Greetings all hop growers

I am certainly interested in the possibility of some hop plant swaps. I have POR, cluster, hallertauer, hersbrucker, tettnanger and perle varieties, so I'd be interested in any other varieties. I'd probably prefer goldings, fuggles, willamette, cascade and chinook over anything else. I am in NSW and have already started some varieties (POR, tet and hall) for their second growing season in pots in the glasshouse at work. The rhizome of all varieties increased some 20-50 fold from the first season and splitting the rhizome mass to make several new plants was pretty easy. Some are already 1-2 m tall after only a few weeks, and most are throwing many additional shoots. I have begun striking cuttings from these shoots and propagated some plants from smaller rhizome chunks. They really are a weed! A friend grows the cluster, hers and perle for me but it won't be a problem grabbing some rhizome from these or striking some cuttings if others are interested in these varieties

Kirem, I'd be interested in cascade, goldings, chinook and willamette but I probably don't have enough varieties for a 1-1 swap.

If any other growers are interested in diversifying their crop then please pots.

Lochrocking
[post="73414"][/post]​

You sound like you've done it before so I'll ask.

What is the go with the splitting of rhizomes. I have read elsewhere to buring a bine or 2 at the end of the season and dig if up at the beginning of the next when it will have turned into rhizomes. Then cut this at intervals making sure there are buds on each. I also assume that this bine remains attached to the plant? Is this your experience because from what you are saying you can just seperate the normall rootstock and use that or go the cutting option.
Also is the cutting from the main bine stock or branches/arms off this

Cheers
Borret

Borret I've also read that after the season is over you lay the main bine (still attached to the main plant) on the garden bed and cover with dirt. Eventually where a stem/side shoot used to be when it was growing roots will form and grow into the dirt. Once established you can then chop either side of this so you have several lengths with their own individual root growth, these then turn into rhizomes. Unfortunately I didnt learn this until I pruned mine back to the base. I would have loved to have experimented. I also read that if you trim off a young side stem from the plant and stick it in a glass of water that roots will form. I tried this but nothing happened - it just went mouldy, the water startered to smell and the wife chucked it! Sorry but can remember where I read it either....could have been ABC gardening website?
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

The one I have read it in is here. This may be what you were refering to. I will definately giving this a go.

Cheers

Borret

Yep - thats the one.
Cheers
Steve

Borret

A rhizome is technically an underground stem that bears both plant shoots (in this case shoots emerge from buds) and roots. A lot of grasses like kikuyu and couch work similarly. Rootstock is sometimes used interchangeably but to me a rootstock is the below ground plant part that another plant is grafted onto (e.g. grapevines and tomatos are sometimes grafted onto disease resistant).

When you buy a rhizome you receive a small piece of stem on which you can usually see both buds (they can be a few mm to cm long) and roots. I don't think hops will propagate from only root material (speaking strictly only roots here) but I have tried this season with POR and so far no shoots have emerged - I'll let you all know if it does grow from only a piece of root.

Your idea to bury a bine will probably work if buried after harvest and before the plant goes into decline and dormancy. I haven't tried this though.

At the moment those who have hop vines can probably see a few shoots just pushing through the soil surface and some vines can have shoot buds on dormant live wood above the ground surface. The latter happened to my POR. I grew all my plants in 20-30 litre pots last season so examining the rhizome wasn't very difficult except for the POR, which had roots travelling out of the pot and into the ground. As I said the rhizome had increased in size and there were several sections to it that could be easily cut or broken off with the new budding shoots showing. Really all you need to grow hops is for one bud to shoot successfully from a rhizome, and as the plant gets bigger they will tend to push out more shoots. What I have done is split the rhizome into several smaller pieces but still much larger than the initial rhizome pieces I received. What I'm hoping for are several large productive vines this season. Each season the rhizome will increase in size and you should also see an increased yield, within reason of course. A larger rhizome means a greater carbohydrate starch source for the plant to get kicking faster in the following season and yield better.

If you have your hop plants in the ground you could bud off some extra plants by carefully digging around some of the outer shoots if they are visible now. This might be easy or difficult depending on your soil type. It's probably better to do this now while the plant is more or less dormant.

Incidentally, I wouldn't recommend growing hops in pots or cut wine barrels as they just don't grow or produce as well as in the ground; this was even with copious applications of water and fertiliser, and I would consider myself a bit of a green thumb.

Perhaps I could post some photos of the different plant parts to illustrate.

Hello Hop swappers

Anyone interested in making a donation to the "Great Northern Hop Growing Experiment". Im trying to get people to send me cuttings of various varieties to see if they will grow in North Queensland. I know its outside the ideal latitude but I may rig some artificial lights to extend the daylight hours of summer to try and trick them into flowering.

If anyone can help out PM me for postal details please.

I'm willing to split any crop that eventually grows or at worst if the plants grow but wont flower I can always send back some rizomes.

Cheers

Steve :D

lochrockingbeers said:
Borret

When you buy a rhizome you receive a small piece of stem on which you can usually see both buds (they can be a few mm to cm long) and roots. I don't think hops will propagate from only root material (speaking strictly only roots here) but I have tried this season with POR and so far no shoots have emerged - I'll let you all know if it does grow from only a piece of root.

[post="73434"][/post]​

Last year around June when i was at the Grain and Grape they were giving away pure root material of POR.
This had come out of a brewers garden. Apparently the thing had gone wild and the rootstock had overtaken the garden. So he ripped out lots of roots and cut them up into various sizes.
I took some for the hell of it and planted it in a large pot. I got good growth and a total 14 grams of dry hop flowers.
Im no garderner but I reckon you are better starting off with something like this than a rhizome with minimum rootstock.
Do a search for homegrown hops on the site. There are plenty of pics.

johnno

Last year I took some of the shoots from my plant and placed them in a jar of water. Wasn't long before rootlets started to grow. I planted them and they slowly took off.
I haven't seen any leaves from my main plant this year. Not suprising as it will be the third one i have "killed"

Oh yeah I should have added I am willing to send some Cascade if it does spring through

Darren said:
I haven't seen any leaves from my main plant this year. Not suprising as it will be the third one i have "killed"
[post="73463"][/post]​

It was most likely due to poor plating tecniques :p :p :p

Borret

Borret said:
Darren said:
[post="73463"][/post]​

It was most likely due to poor plating tecniques :p :p :p

Borret
[post="73480"][/post]​

Sorry, did I say plating, I think I meant to say planting.

Borret :blink:

I did pressure cook the agar though. Still don't understand why it got infected :p :p :p

Have one Perle Rhizome more than I need, anyone interested in swapping something, cost me $25 inc postage.

Oh yeah I should have added I am willing to send some Cascade if it does spring through

I'd be keen to get hold of a Cascade Rhizome or cutting if anyone has some on offer...In line with the thread I don't have anything to swap but happy to pay. It seems Cascade are a tad difficult to get hold of at the mo... :(

Latest posts

Back