Hop Steeping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meathead

Reaction score
I'm brewing a JS 150 Lashes clone and the recipe (all grain) calls for 15grams Willamette Hops Steeped for 15 minutes

Do I just make a small hop tea and if so when do I add it?

Seems strange for an all grain brew to require 1 hop addition to be steeped.

meathead said:
I'm brewing a JS 150 Lashes clone and the recipe (all grain) calls for 15grams Willamette Hops Steeped for 15 minutes

Do I just make a small hop tea and if so when do I add it?
I'd just whirlpool after the boil for 5mins, add the 15gms of Willamette & leave it steep for 15mins & then chill immediately.
You'll get a nice hit of flavour & aroma but I'd be looking to adjust the amount. 15gms or so in the boil might be ok but a steep after the boil won't add a lot to your bitterness. If you use BeerSmith, just select whirlpool/steep instead of boil for that addition & see what it comes in at. I'd be looking at doubling that amount if steeping, 30gm+.

If you no chill, just add the hops to the cube (ie no tea). Depending on the wort temp at the time of transfer, I calculate hops in cube as either a 15 min boil (wort xfer at about 94C) or a 20 min steep (wort xfer at about 84C). YMMV

Back