Hop Sock Material

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acasta

Bro Member
Reaction score
G'day Brewers.

I'm looking to make a hop sock. I'm planning on something like this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/albums/5/5178.picture

When I went to bunnings they apparently didn't have paint strainers.
I've used my old biab bag, lining that pot, which is good for utilization, however didn't go well in the boil with bubbles generated at the base causing air pockets and for whole thing to float, despite my 30min addition of metal shit from the cutlery draw.
I also tried using said bag in a similar way to the one linked, however I think it was too big and it floated around too much.

I have a bit of swiss voile still around from the BIAB bag, and could make a smaller shaped bag and see how that goes.
Also looking for suggestions of other matierals that will allow better wort flow, but still catch pellets.

What are people using?

Also, free balling isn't an option. I don't like the feel without that safety barrier..... :huh:

G'day Brewers.

I'm looking to make a hop sock. I'm planning on something like this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/albums/5/5178.picture

When I went to bunnings they apparently didn't have paint strainers.
I've used my old biab bag, lining that pot, which is good for utilization, however didn't go well in the boil with bubbles generated at the base causing air pockets and for whole thing to float, despite my 30min addition of metal shit from the cutlery draw.
I also tried using said bag in a similar way to the one linked, however I think it was too big and it floated around too much.

I have a bit of swiss voile still around from the BIAB bag, and could make a smaller shaped bag and see how that goes.
Also looking for suggestions of other matierals that will allow better wort flow, but still catch pellets.

What are people using?

Also, free balling isn't an option. I don't like the feel without that safety barrier..... :huh:

Cut the foot out of some stockings ( wash them first to get any dye from the manafacturing prosses out ) tie a loose knot in the open end incase it falls in the wort ( jam it under the lid or handle or something) when its cold turn inside out and rinse under warm running water and re -use , the one im using now has gone thru 4 60 min boils and still going strong , get a good brand tho . hope this helps .

+1 above

I've used those foot stocking types for my last 2 brews and it has worked well. 1 knot for 1st hop addition, 2 knots for second hop addtion etc.

I boiled mine 2 times until it was more or less clear. 15-20 mins.

Stocking will probably be a bit small for what I'm after... the paint strainers used for that thing I linked are for 5 gallons.

Perhaps the plus sized ladies store will have some. I can imagine buying them now...

How do you guys find they are for wort flow? the they retain much wort when removed? I have to let the bag drain when I used swiss voile.

Stocking will probably be a bit small for what I'm after... the paint strainers used for that thing I linked are for 5 gallons.

Perhaps the plus sized ladies store will have some. I can imagine buying them now...

How do you guys find they are for wort flow? the they retain much wort when removed? I have to let the bag drain when I used swiss voile.

The material holds stuff all wort , i just drain for a minute then give a gentle squeeze , the wort flows thru well like a tea bag .
You can fit alot of hops in a stocking .

I used to use stockings, but I've been using one of these now for a couple of years and haven't had any problems with keeping the contents submerged in the boiling wort. They come in two different bag sizes and two different mesh sizes. I think mine is the smaller of the two bag sizes, and the rigidity of the nylon mesh seems to help keep the bag under the surface of the wort. I can't see the link you posted, so I'm not sure how it compares to what you're after.

Cheers,
tallie

Back