Hop Sock Alternatives

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad81

Reaction score
I fully intended to get some hop socks from KK yesterday, but of course didn't write it down. Bought a thermometer, and almost bought a thermowell... So much for shopping lists.

Anyway, I've had a chat with the Mrs and she suggested I actually use a sock. Not entirely a stupid idea, but I doubt the wort will flow all that freely through it. Then she offered up some of her stockings. Has anyone used stockings as hop socks/grain bags before?? I'll give them a boil to clean up/sanitise them, but I am thinking it is a viable alternative.

Thoughts please

Stockings should work fine. I have not used them personally, but i'm pretty sure half this forum has.

I fully intended to get some hop socks from KK yesterday, but of course didn't write it down. Bought a thermometer, and almost bought a thermowell... So much for shopping lists.

Anyway, I've had a chat with the Mrs and she suggested I actually use a sock. Not entirely a stupid idea, but I doubt the wort will flow all that freely through it. Then she offered up some of her stockings. Has anyone used stockings as hop socks/grain bags before?? I'll give them a boil to clean up/sanitise them, but I am thinking it is a viable alternative.

Thoughts please

They will work fine.

Make sure you do not use coloured stockings...for obvious reasons.

Does that mean half of this forum has regular contact with women?! No way!

There is always the other possibility...

I just made up 4 hop socks from a grain bag
Stitched up with Braided fishing line
Have also used stockings before

I just made up 4 hop socks from a grain bag
Stitched up with Braided fishing line
Have also used stockings before

Good to hear :) Put down your apple pie last night too!!

Muscovy, they're that tan colour, but boiling them first should remove any EBC competition.

is there a particular reason for needing the hop sock? if not just free ball them in and they setlle out with the trub at the end of the boil anyway.

I have been, but was thinking of cutting out as much time as possible. I'm figuring the less amount of hops etc suspended in the wort, the less my bazooka screen will have to contend with. For my next brew, I'll be starting after 730pm and will need to be quick about it, or I'll be getting no sleep.

If you are going to contain your hops have a look at the ratio of tea to space in a teabag. Copy that ratio or you won't hit your IBU and flavour targets.

Good to hear :) Put down your apple pie last night too!!

Muscovy, they're that tan colour, but boiling them first should remove any EBC competition.

Good luck with the cider Mate

This is a great device for hop flowers. It's a couple of 6" strainers from Ikea, hinged with zip ties and with a little stainless clip to hold the handles together. It is suspended in the cooker with a bit of wire so you can get it back for later additions without boiling your fingers. When you remove it finally, hang it over the side of the kettle for a couple of minutes. You'll be amazed how much precious wort drains back.

Photo_on_2012_07_22_at_12.30.jpg

As an aside, I know a few of you guys roast your own coffee beans. Cool them in this. If you stand out in the wind and shake buggery out of it , they cool in a couple of minutes and the the remains of the husks all come away.

Does the Mrs have a sewing machine,go to spotlight/lincraft get some voile or muslin and make some socks/bags.piece of twine around the top.

something like these

They will work fine.

Make sure you do not use coloured stockings...for obvious reasons.

And make sure they haven't been used, especially if she's recently had her period

is there a particular reason for needing the hop sock? if not just free ball them in and they setlle out with the trub at the end of the boil anyway.

All my hops go in nude, I find you get the best utilisation. Some prefer to keep them separate so you have less crap to whirlpool making it easier. Either way, it's up to you. That hop ball idea by Tony M is a great idea.

QldKev

If you are going to contain your hops have a look at the ratio of tea to space in a teabag. Copy that ratio or you won't hit your IBU and flavour targets.

Thanks Nick, should have plenty of room, I have one for each addition.

This is a great device for hop flowers. It's a couple of 6" strainers from Ikea, hinged with zip ties and with a little stainless clip to hold the handles together. It is suspended in the cooker with a bit of wire so you can get it back for later additions without boiling your fingers. When you remove it finally, hang it over the side of the kettle for a couple of minutes. You'll be amazed how much precious wort drains back.

View attachment 55976

As an aside, I know a few of you guys roast your own coffee beans. Cool them in this. If you stand out in the wind and shake buggery out of it , they cool in a couple of minutes and the the remains of the husks all come away.

Ingenious mate :) Massive teaball!!

I have the first shoots of hallertau coming out of the pot now, so have to trim them back. Who knows, 9 months I may have some to use.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Cheers,

Brad

I go to the big w pool section and get some of the filter socks the filter socks from there. Perfect size for me.

I use the hop swimming pool method, a grain bag from CraftBrewer - which I believe is also sold as a paint strainer bag in trade centres - pegged round the top of the vessel and a couple of kitchen SS spoons dropped in to keep the bottom from billowing up too much. Then hoist and take all the hop debris with it. Works well with pellets as well. I have two, which have been going for nearly three years now.

hopsocksLarge.jpg

I use the hop swimming pool method, a grain bag from CraftBrewer - which I believe is also sold as a paint strainer bag in trade centres - pegged round the top of the vessel and a couple of kitchen SS spoons dropped in to keep the bottom from billowing up too much. Then hoist and take all the hop debris with it. Works well with pellets as well. I have two, which have been going for nearly three years now.

hopsocksLarge.jpg

Knew I kept my BIAB bag for a reason.

Might just do that. Would be handy to have a second bag for dumping hops into!

How do you stop the bottom of the bag from melting when you have a boil going though?

I have been, but was thinking of cutting out as much time as possible. I'm figuring the less amount of hops etc suspended in the wort, the less my bazooka screen will have to contend with. For my next brew, I'll be starting after 730pm and will need to be quick about it, or I'll be getting no sleep.

I got Swiss Voille from Spotlight, took it to the friendly Greek seamstress and had her sew a dozen baggies for $10. Priceless.Oh yeah, she also made half a dozen big bags for BIAB. Major expense........NOT!

Latest posts

Back