Hop Rhizomes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

It's YUMMY
Reaction score
To all the Melb Brewers out there,
Is anyone growing hops and where did you source them from.
I know you can get them from Grumpys but is there any where local?
Or do I just start ringing all the nurseries?

cheers

I will be selling rhizomes again this year, not exactly local to you though :) price will be $25+postage

My hops are nearly 5' up the guideropes

Jovial Monk

Thanks JM. I do prefer local due to them going through the post. I'll see how I go and if things are very grim here I might have to contact you.

cheers

Are there any hop farms around your area. These places will usually give you a few if your there at the right time. Other than that I don't know where you might find some.

johhno, I have some - via Grumpys last yr...

If i can i might be able to get you one off mine (Hallertau) but dont know if it will be big enough...

I will be working on getting some (at the right time of yr) and will let you know.

I want

Cascade
Goldings
POR
(i have the hallertau)

this should cover most of my brewing needs :)

P.S mine is growing great guns, 4 vines all head hight, i am running them across rather than up now.

Ben ,
That sound great. I wonder if you can get em going from cuttings?? Back to the gardening books by the looks of it.
Rung around to a couple of nuseries and they think im talkin foreign to em.
Only hop farm ive found so far is the the ntheast of the state on the border of NSW.
Oh, and apparently there are some in Myrtleford which is a lot closer. Gotta find em yet.
I'd want at least a POR and a cscade plant.

cheers

A chap on the Oz Craftbrewing group sells them - I had one sent over to Perth for $18 last year. They are very seasonal and will only become available in spring. I got mine in the middle of September ( which is now singing with the great choir beyond :( )

PM me if you would like his email address

i got mine of the guy on the craftbrewer list too.. mine are probably 4 foot high...

Johnno and all. Hops grow great from cuttings. Simple as, cut off a shoot approx 30 cm long and stick in water for a week or two. They will shoot roots from the axis of the leaf/stem. then just plant em. I have three POR's, 2 Hallertau and 2 Tettnanger, most established from cuttings. The POR grows much faster than the other two. The POR I planted from rhizome last year is currently about 20 foot tall and now growing sideways, no sign of flowers yet though.

JD

Are hops poisonous for dogs? I thought I read somewhere that they were. I would be keen to get some cascades growing but my dog eats just about anything, especially if he sees me taking interest in it :(

Not sure if hops are poisonous to all dogs, but there have been a handful of recorded cases where eating hops has caused the dogs temperature control system to go crazy and their body temp goes up to the point it kills them, IIRC. I spent a while looking in to it and all of the cases I found involved a dog eating the hop residue from a boiler or fermenter, not fresh flowers. But it was enough to put me off growing them anyway, and I dispose off hop residue in places not accessible to my dogs.
Subsequently added:

Heres the thing I found.

This is from a recorded case of hop poisoning

This is a warning that the ingestion of used hops from home brewing can be fatal to dogs. Some breeds have a toxic reaction that triggers the onset of Malignant Hyperthermia (MH), a life-threatening condition in which the body uncontrollably overheats. Do not mulch your used hops - seal them in a container and dispose of in the trash!

There have only been a handful of confirmed cases reported - around 9 dogs. Seven of the dogs were Greyhounds, one Labrador Retriever, an unknown breed, and most recently a Golden Retriever. 7 out of the 9 dogs died.

The first symptom to become obvious to an owner is heavy panting. Tachycardia (rapid heart rate) will also be present, up to 200 beats per minute. The temperature may rise as quickly as 2 degrees F every five minutes. Immediately take your dog to a emergency pet hospital.

Any particular time of year you need to take cuttings?

Hi GSRman.

My first lot of cuttings this year I did when my hop plant was shooting out about a dozen shoots (of which I cut back to 4) so this was probably quite a few months ago (guessing, Oct or Nov??). But I also took some cuttings about a month ago of the Hallertau and Tett, which struck up and I potted them about a week ago.

The earlier ones are going great guns and should have a good root stock for next year, but the newer ones I don't know? They should grow enough this season to have a good root stock for next year but I will have to see. I reckon you could probably grab them any time, it's just whether or not the will have enough to start growing again next year after being dormant for so long.

You can only try though?

Cheers, JD

P.S. Don't cut your primary shoot unless your trying to keep them short. Grab a lateral branch.

Justin,
There are no hop farms near me. I live in inner city Melb.The last one here had to go to make way for the tennis center. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What state are you in. Are you near a hop farm??

cheers

In Tassie. There is a huge hop growing area up the river from me, Bushy Park (45min drive). Also in the north of the state at Gunn's Plains near where my parents live. So it's not too hard for me to find some but I actually got mine off a friend who had a few. Probably the best option if you can find some one with some.

Cheers. JD

JasonY said:
Are hops poisonous for dogs? I thought I read somewhere that they were. I would be keen to get some cascades growing but my dog eats just about anything, especially if he sees me taking interest in it :(
Nah, I think you are getting mixed up with cane toads :lol:

TDA

Johnno - I am trying to get some cuttings going and I think I am not far from you. Who knows whether they will take but they are still kicking on after over a week.

http://brewiki.org/HopGrowing

Shows definite signs of cones from the plant that last August, was nothing more than a rhizome.

Also for people after Cascade, apparently they have a latent virus which means they can't be planted here.

Johnno, one other thing, I heard a few melbourne brewers talking about throwing out some of their hops (taking over the garden). It is the wrong time of year to be digging up rhizomes but if you jump on the melbourne brewers list (via the web site) you should be able to hook up something for next season.

Thanks sosman,
I dd end up getting a POR that is in a big pot and doing ok. I put a picyure up of it here somewhere but I cant remember where.

cheers

johnno

Oops, missed the date on this and started giving out my standard warning on dogs and hops, but suddnely remembered I already did that a couple of pages ago. Can you delete your own post or do you have to edit it?

Latest posts

Back