Hop Plugs In The Boil...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gough

Maintain the Rage!
Reaction score
G'day fellas,

I've used hop plugs plenty of times when dry hopping but have generally stuck to pellets in the boil. I was thinking of using some Northdown plugs in the boil this weekend and was wondering how you blokes have gone when using plugs? Do they really gum up the works when it comes time to get it in the fermenter? Do they really foam up/lead to boilovers?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Shawn.

I don't have that much experience with plugs - but so far I like them for the filtering they do post-boil - and it looks better seeing hop flowers floating around in the boil (better than the green sludge of pellets) :) .

I did have a blockage on my first use of the however - through the tap, but I put a small screen on boiler outlet spiggot after that and haven't had any problems since.

I recently made two changes to my boil. Added a stainless braid drain in a ring at the base of the boiler as the inlet, and tried plugs for the first time. I got maybe 300 ml of 35 l out of the boiler, and it blocked solid, and no amount of stirring or prodding would fix it. Had to bail the lot out.

Then tried the same braid with pellets, got all the wort out, leaving the break and hops behind. So for my setup, they gum things up good and proper.

Thanks fellas. I thought that would be the major problem. I'm still tossing it up. I'm planning on brewing an English IPA style on Sunday (or what I think is approximating that style :huh: ) and had never used Northdown hops and as my brewshop just got some plugs in thought I'd give them a go. Might stick to Target and EK Golding pellets to avoid the blockages. I know, I'm a wuss :rolleyes:

Thanks again, and any more suggestions more than welcome,

Shawn.

Shawn,

with my last brew, I used all hop plugs for bittering and aroma. As they were hallertauer, I used a lot, too. During the boil, i found they inhibited hot break, rather than exacerbating it like pellets do. After chilling the wort, I used a racking cane with a SS pot scourer wrapped around the end to siphon the wort into the fermenter. Worked a treat, with no blockages.

Cheers - Snow

I mainly use plugs or whole hops, in a ss basket that can be removed at the end of the boil avoiding any blockages.

Two top ideas there Snow and Vlad. Thanks for that. I think I'll try the scourer on the end of the racking cane and see how I go, although I might try it next weekend. I think I've decided on the Target/EKG mix for this brew now - go with what I know 'n all that...

The stainless basket sounds great Vlad. Where did you come by it?

Shawn.

hi gough
tried cascade plugs for the first time last monday and had no problems.probably first time users luck ;) and i use ss braid to filter.

cheers
big d

My beer was brewed before two weeks I put a hops(plugs) Cascade to the kettle with boiling wort:15 gr-20 min 15 gr- 15 min 15 gr-15 min 15 gr-10 min before the end
The wort was after the primary fermentation with very tender aroma and ligth bitterness

G'day Gough,

Where did you get the Northdown plugs from?

Regards,
Peter
Eastwood, NSW

Hi Peter,

The Northdown plugs are from Mark's Homebrewing, 18 (I think) Maitland Road Islington, 02 49696696. He's got heaps if you want any and they are new stock.

Hope that helps,

Shawn.

Gough & Bobby,
Thanks for that.

UK Northdown haven't been around for a few yrs.
I wonder why we are seeing them again?

Anyway, ta.
Peter

big d said:
hi gough
tried cascade plugs for the first time last monday and had no problems.probably first time users luck ;) and i use ss braid to filter.

cheers
big d
Hey Big D,
Do you use a pump? My experience is that the braid clogs after about 5 minutes of continual pumping.
cheers
Darren

Now I can speak from experience and chiller, Batz, jayse, dicko and Mark from Goliath's can back me up.
Used three plugs yesterday in my brew (flavour and aroma additions) and had to siphon the last 5 litres out with a glass as the outlet was blocked solid. :blink:

I have no filter on my kettle, just a copper pick up tube. Will be looking on this site now for what people use as a kettle outlet filter.

C&B
TDA

Sounds nasty TDA :( I'm still pretty agricultural in my setup and am pouring the contents from my keg boiler through a ss strainer into my fermenter, but I thought I might try Snow's scourer on the end of a rackingcane/syphon setup next brew. I brewed my IPA on Sunday in the heat over here and experienced my first stuck sparge which was a joy :angry: :angry: Added an extra 45 mins to the brew day...

Still the beer tastes good so far! I've made it this far without one by some miracle so I guess I should be pleased ;)

Shawn.

TDA

I've attached a stainless steel braid with a hose clamp to my copper pick up tube. The other end is folded over and clamped also. The braid is about 300mm to 400mm long and is a butchered "Happy Hooker" from Bunnings.

So far it's worked a treat!

Steve

Cheers Steve, I had used a short filter (15cm)like this previously when using flowers/plugs and I still had the same problem. Might try a longer piece and see what happens.

hi darren
no i dont use a pump its just gravity syphon.maybe why i didnt clog up but now im convinced the next brew with plugs will clog :( that will be my luck.
just as a quick fix has anyone thought of getting a ss colander mesh and forming it into some sort of container to place the plugs into then into the boil she goes.clogging should be a thing of the past.will put it on my to do and try list.

cheers
big d

Hey Big D,
I don't think it is the hops that block the braid, rather the hot break is the culprit.
I have used hop plugs wrapped in Termi-mesh. The problem with it is they always sit on the bottom of the kettle. Risk of scorching if using gas to heat.
Better to use a muslin bag of stocking
D

Back