Hop Plantation 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
With only a few days to spare (hops are supposed to be planted by 1 Sept) I've got my hop rhizomes in the ground.
They have been sitting as they arrived (mid July) from the grower (plastic bag and cotton wool in a box) in the vege crispy.
The Columbus has grown some shoots already.
Doc_s_Hops_001__Small_.jpg

The Hersbrucker looks like it is going to lag a little behind.
Doc_s_Hops_002__Small_.jpg

Has everyone else got theirs planted yet ? Got pics ? Post 'em here.

Beers,
Doc

ugly looking mongrels arent they Doc? They're healthy too. Id be putting them in the ground straight away before they climb out of your crisper! :blink:

Hi Doc,
Welcome home :)
The Columbus looks good, I have Victory in the ground from last year that has started to reshoot, and a POR on its way to be planted early next week

Cheers
Andrew

Doc said:
With only a few days to spare (hops are supposed to be planted by 1 Sept) I've got my hop rhizomes in the ground.
They have been sitting as they arrived (mid July) from the grower (plastic bag and cotton wool in a box) in the vege crispy.
The Columbus has grown some shoots already.
View attachment 3615

The Hersbrucker looks like it is going to lag a little behind.
View attachment 3616

Has everyone else got theirs planted yet ? Got pics ? Post 'em here.

Beers,
Doc
[post="73734"][/post]​
Hi Doc,

Yep my colunmbus has well and truly shot. I posted some pics a few days ao on the Hop irrigation thread.

Cheers

Borret

My precoce de bourgogne and wuerttywhatsits were both planted a couple weekends ago, the precocious one is already sticking out.

I have a hairy Chinook rhizome that's threatening the crisper too!

Planting this weekend - alongside the Goldings!

Cheers,
TL

Lookling good Doc. My Hallertau is going great guns.

I finally got around to taking a pic of it.

IMG_0146.JPG

n00ch said:
Lookling good Doc. My Hallertau is going great guns.

I finally got around to taking a pic of it.

View attachment 3620
[post="73758"][/post]​

That plant looks great, how long has it been in the ground? My poor little Victory has only just started to bud :( .

I recieved it about a month ago so i guess its been in the ground for a little over 3 weeks. It sprouted about a week after planting (about 4-5 inches under the groud) and it has doubled in size over the past week or so.
I have no idea what the hell i'm going to do with it if it continues to grow at this rate!!!!!

A little late to game...however..... I recieved a single POR rihzome yesterday from a HB store in ACT. Having a quick peek prior to planting the rhizome I noticed several small nodular shoots approx 1/2"long were already present.

Anyway...it has been planted and like the rest of the AHB clan growing there own hops this year...I can't wait to see it truely start growing...

Regards

MWS

Here's three pics of mine. First, the precoce de bourgogne. Second, the label conveniently attached to the post. Third, the garden bed they're planted in (with the wuerttemberger on the adjacent post).

DSC00075.JPG

DSC00076.JPG

DSC00079.JPG

You starting a hop farm Kai? :lol:
Everone put their order in for nest year.

johnno

Nice - mine from last year are yet to sprout....

johnno said:
You starting a hop farm Kai? :lol:
Everone put their order in for nest year.

johnno
[post="74692"][/post]​

Good idea, johnno! I can rip out the roses and all the other rubbish that's just out of picture :D

My glasshouse plantation I started less than a month ago...

hop1.jpg

Two pride of ringwood plants on left and two tettnang on right. The bigger pride plant has reached the glasshouse roof in less than a month - some 3m or so.

hop2.jpg

More hops: tettnang plants left back, bushy hallertau plants on right, and then more of these varieties and some perle, hersbruck and cluster planted as rhizomes and cuttings in front left.

hop3.jpg

Some nice looking lattice (2.5m high x 1.5m wide) at work where some plants that were growing on it 'conveniently' died. There are 4 of these and there is reticulation to each lattice. I figure 1 variety per lattice would be nice. I've even been given permission to grow hops on them!! All looks good for a record harvest in 2006.

Well i got my rhizomes and have them potted thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction. Excellent delivery times, packaging and instructions by lochrockingbeers and Mark Ellis, thanks again. :beerbang:

Heres a pic, i took it on my phone so the quality is pretty bad, but anyway theres 1 cluster, 3 POR and 2 Hallertauer i'll re-pot them into larger pots when i get some more quality potting mix.

hopspots.jpg

Mine have been in the ground about 10 days and are poking their heads through.

Doc_s_Hops_006__Medium_.jpg

It is all quite exciting. I don't remember taking this much interest in growing something since my student days

Attachments

• Doc_s_Hops_007__Medium_.jpg
    Doc_s_Hops_007__Medium_.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Doc_s_Hops_008__Medium_.jpg
    Doc_s_Hops_008__Medium_.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 35
Keep an eye on snails too Doc, maybe a few snail pellets if you can keep the pets away. The snails hit my POR hard last year but being the weed it was once I stopped the snails it powered on like there was no problem to begin with. Hardy plants.

Cheers, looks good.
Justin

Surround the plants with straw. Snails n slugs hate it as they cant slither on it smoothly. Also its a good mulch to keep the moisture in during the hot months. My 2nd year POR plant has 10 shoots just starting to poke through the surface.
Cheers
Steve

Back