Hop plant from Bunnings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsouth82

Reaction score
So I made an impulse buy at Bunnings....'Beer Herb'
I'm not even sure what hop it is. Anyone have any ideas?
Also, its very small and i notice that people are already harvesting. I would assume I will get nothing this year?
I've never grown hops and only recently started using them in my brews. Figured $7 wasn't too bigger loss if it's a complete failure.
Thanks

IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

That's weird..... Only one way to find out I guess, what and see might be able to narrow down the varietal next year if it grows cones.

no idea

their website shows nothing of the sort

Struck from a cutting from this seasons growth I bet. It will need to form it's own rhizome before it's worth anything.

Batz

Love em or hate them Bunnings often have some quite off-centre stuff in the garden section. For example as a Curry Chef Freak I searched for about a year to get a curry leaf tree. I got a seedling from Howard (Howlingdog) at BABBs but it failed unfortunately, and I eventually got one at the Caboolture Markets which travelled down here occupying a passenger seat of its own on the back seat of the car and is now at the heart of my Curry kitchen.

It occurred to me that if something happened to it I'd be well fecked, and to my amazement Bunnings at Taree got in about half a dozen of them and I'm raising one now. WRT to the hop plant, if it forms up a rhizome it may well turn out to be an interesting hop supply. Now, as I'm living south of Port Mac I'm thinking of having another go at hops, Bribie Island was woeful :unsure:

curry leaf 1.jpg

curry leaf 2.jpg

Bribie G said:
Love em or hate them Bunnings often have some quite off-centre stuff in the garden section. For example as a Curry Chef Freak I searched for about a year to get a curry leaf tree. I got a seedling from Howard (Howlingdog) at BABBs but it failed unfortunately, and I eventually got one at the Caboolture Markets which travelled down here occupying a passenger seat of its own on the back seat of the car and is now at the heart of my Curry kitchen.

It occurred to me that if something happened to it I'd be well fecked, and to my amazement Bunnings at Taree got in about half a dozen of them and I'm raising one now. WRT to the hop plant, if it forms up a rhizome it may well turn out to be an interesting hop supply. Now, as I'm living south of Port Mac I'm thinking of having another go at hops, Bribie Island was woeful :unsure:

Wait till I dig up mine Mike, I'll have a few rhizomes you can have for a beer when I make it over your way. :party: (perhaps a curry as well??)

Batz

Nick JD said:
I got a Black Sapote at my local Bunnings.

I've got a hugh tree Nick, bloody possums love them.

Batz said:
I've got a hugh tree Nick, bloody possums love them.
I'll bet!

It's a type of Ebony. The roots were jet black!

If the beer herb plant from Bunnings was grown from a cutting, could it turn out to be a male plant, and thus have little use for brewing?

Brew Matt said:
If the beer herb plant from Bunnings was grown from a cutting, could it turn out to be a male plant, and thus have little use for brewing?
Not likely to be a male if taken from a female. Anything is possible with clonal mutation though, but it would be rare.

It does mention in the description that the 'Beer Herb' flowers, so going by that it sounds like it is a female plant.

gsouth,

which bunnings did you find that at mate?

Have called my local (only bunnings in several hundred k's) and they don't know what i'm talking about....not surprised.

But they did say that if i could find out where it was purchased from, then they may be able to get one.

Big Nath said:
gsouth,

which bunnings did you find that at mate?

Have called my local (only bunnings in several hundred k's) and they don't know what i'm talking about....not surprised.

But they did say that if i could find out where it was purchased from, then they may be able to get one.
Get a dwarf if you have limited space, they should suit growing in pots.

when i spoke to the lady in the garden section, she told me that they don't all purchase their stock from the same place, and that the "victorian" bunnings' would get their stock from an entirely different place/company/nursery etc..

Back