Hop Pellets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brizbrew

Reaction score
I have had a quick look through the archives and can't seem to find an answer to a specific question i have so I raise it here.

I am brewing early in the morning and am using hop pellets for the first time, I have previously used hopped extract.
My question is will the pellets dissolve completely or not and do i need to do anything other than open the foil sachet and toss them in the boiling wort?

I have seen something mentioned on other sites previously regarding pellets being re-hydrated but it fails me as to what the procedure is and whether this was mandatory or optional.

Your help is much appreciated.

Yep just chuck em in, assuming you have done your sums as regards to bitterness and finish.

In boiling liquid the pellets will dissolve almost instantly.

watch out when u throw them - it can raise the boil - u can get it frothing up intitially and will then get the pellets sticking to the sides.

If this happens then just use a spoon and bring them back down into the wort.
For this reason - it can be better to add the pellets after the wort is boiling.

Hope this helps

When the pellets dissolve, they dissolve into small particles that form a sludge and I found it clogging up my filler valve before I started using secondary. Brewing them in a coffee plunger is the sophisticated way to go. Let them steep for a while, then plunge.

Re-hydrated? Dry yeast maybe?

Please correct if I'm off track. The hops in the boil also provide a suface area for the break material to bind to, hence assisting in clearing the boiling wort and removing unwanted material.

I think you're spot on nonic, except it looks as though brizzybrew is doing a extract brew so there will be minimal break material (that isn't hops). All i can add is that the little bits of hops will settle nicely on the bottom of the kettle when the wort is cooled and if you are careful, you can decant a nice clear wort with minimal sediment.

voota said:
I think you're spot on nonic, except it looks as though brizzybrew is doing a extract brew so there will be minimal break material (that isn't hops). All i can add is that the little bits of hops will settle nicely on the bottom of the kettle when the wort is cooled and if you are careful, you can decant a nice clear wort with minimal sediment.
[post="63240"][/post]​
I ended up straining the wort through an ultre fine mesh which took all the crap out of the boil kettle and did leave me a prety clean wort.
If only I had added the right quantity of water. :-(

Back