Hop Pellets/flowers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fifthpinned06

Reaction score
Hello There,

Bout to do my first brew with hop flowers instead of pellets, just to try something different and prepare my self for home grown when they are ready (long way to go) but was wondering, do I need to change the amount of hop flowers added compared to pellets or is 10 grams still 10 grams?

cheers fellas

Yep 10g still 10g. There will be much more mass, and a bit of extra absorption, but apart from that weigh as normal.

you will get slightly lower extraction due to lower surface area.

brewmate will calculate the difference for you.
www.brewmate.net

allow about 10% extra weight in flowers.

if you used 50 grams of pellets go for 55 grams of flowers....given the same AA.

As said Brewmate or other software will adjust.

Bout to do my first brew with hop flowers instead of pellets, just to try something different and prepare my self for home grown when they are ready (long way to go) but was wondering, do I need to change the amount of hop flowers added compared to pellets or is 10 grams still 10 grams?
No, 10 grams of pellets is 11 grams of flowers.
As others have said generally 10% more whole hop flowers (8% for plugs) are added since the utilization is not so high as pellets (which have been pulverized to powder).
In addition - depending on how much whole hops you use - you might find that the hop-mass retains more wort in the kettle-dregs and so you get a little less wort into the fermentor than you would expect with pellets.

Add 10% more.

And make sure that you (if dry hopping with them/putting them in the fermenter) keep them in a hop sock/some sort of restraint.

I'm usually a "commando" style brewer with pellets, but plugs and flowers block taps, and generally make bottle/kegging/racking/anything a pain in the rear.

I read on here somewhere that 'fresh' hops straight off the tree need to be put in at an amount 5x the weight than stated in the recipe.

This is due to the water content of the fresh hops.

I read on here somewhere that 'fresh' hops straight off the tree need to be put in at an amount 5x the weight than stated in the recipe.

This is due to the water content of the fresh hops.

This is only if you are using wet hops, I think all have assumed the OP is talking about dried flowers.

Oh righto Kev. By wet they mean straight off the tree, right?

Oh righto Kev. By wet they mean straight off the tree, right?

Sure do. Straight of the tree they have a lot of moisture content which is basically water, hence why we need a lot more . But I do recommend trying a wet hop beer.

QldKev

Back