Hop Irrigation System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
n00ch said:
My hops have also started to sprout and actually doubled in size over the past week and a bit. A good 4-5 inches high now.

I would also like to get any info on pruning and what not. When it comes to gardening i need all the help i can get!
[post="73178"][/post]​
nOOch,

Didn't realise you were growing them too. What variety('s) did you go for?

Cheers

Bor :blink: ret

Howdy Borret,

All i have is some hallertau. Its my first go at growing them and it seems to be taking off really well. If all goes well i'll definately get some more next season.

What are you growing?

n00ch said:
Howdy Borret,

All i have is some hallertau. Its my first go at growing them and it seems to be taking off really well. If all goes well i'll definately get some more next season.

What are you growing?
[post="73221"][/post]​

I went columbus.

Perhaps if I manage to propagate some this year (and you) we can do a plant swap next season ;)

Borret :blink:

Sounds good i'll be keen. Any idea when it is best to split them anyone?

Looking good Borret. Try and get some mulch around them (straw, wood chips mouldy leafy compost) to keep the moisture in during the hot summer. Mine are just starting to sprout (no leaves as yet). When you have about 2-3 strong bines from each plant trim off any new little ones that shoot up from the ground to ensure the 2-3 main ones get all the space they need. Then when these are 2-3 metres tall cut the top off to promote lateral/sideways growth. I didnt do this last year so I had 2 bines 10 metres tall (first year in the ground) and had to get a step ladder to pick the flowers. Keep us posted with pics on their growth and your construction eh?
Cheers
Steve

Well I think I will be able to tell you if the pruning thing works.....Involuntarily :excl:
I built a child/ dog proof surround around them when I planted and thought we were fine. Went to water them tonight and there a big divit and 2 of 4 shoots snapped off. :angry: Asked SWMBO if she knew anything and it just so happen that the kids toy wheelbarrow had made it over the top and dropped squarely in the middle. :eek:
So we will see.

Borret said:
Well I think I will be able to tell you if the pruning thing works.....Involuntarily :excl:
I built a child/ dog proof surround around them when I planted and thought we were fine. Went to water them tonight and there a big divit and 2 of 4 shoots snapped off. :angry: Asked SWMBO if she knew anything and it just so happen that the kids toy wheelbarrow had made it over the top and dropped squarely in the middle. :eek:
So we will see.

[post="73292"][/post]​
Borret,
I wouldn't worry about it. These things are very hardy.
It will just grow again.

johnno

johnno said:
Borret said:
Well I think I will be able to tell you if the pruning thing works.....Involuntarily
I built a child/ dog proof surround around them when I planted and thought we were fine. Went to water them tonight and there a big divit and 2 of 4 shoots snapped off. :angry: Asked SWMBO if she knew anything and it just so happen that the kids toy wheelbarrow had made it over the top and dropped squarely in the middle. So we will see.

[post="73292"][/post]​
Borret,
I wouldn't worry about it. These things are very hardy.
It will just grow again.

johnno
[post="73293"][/post]​
Yeah I know. It's all good. But my surround now has a top on it as well. :D

Cheers

Back