Hop Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamstringsally

Reaction score
looking for some suggestions for the next brew. going to do a ale of some sort. atm ive got a ale down based on POR bitter and amerillo flavor and aroma with some dry hopping.

got my grain ordered but have not decided on what hops to go for. looking for something around the 20 to 25 ibu mark but something different to what ive got in the bottles atm.

I did a full northern brewer single hop a while ago. came up pretty good but just cant decide what to mix it up to hop wize.

80% ale jw
10.4% munich 1
3.1% crystal
6.3% wheat

any suggestions for hops?

cheers

hammo

Have you tried any of the American "C" hops?
Australians hops like Galaxy/Stella are great, most stuff from NZ it's great also!
Don't be scared just pick a hop that sounds good to you. There is load of info online about all hop varieties.

You could try the classic Sierra Nevada hopping schedule - Magnum at 60, Perle at 30 and 10, Cascade at 10 and flameout (and dry hop).
I've done several beers with no bittering addition, just Perle at 30 and Cascade late - the Perle given the most amazing warm round fruity hop flavour that works really well with the fruity Cascade aroma.

cool.

I guess the main ones ive used are cascade, galaxy which i love, northern brewer, saaz, halertau, POR, magnum, and simcoe. would like to branch out but just not sure what to choose. i guess i should think of a style to replicate but to be honest nothing comes up that stands out atm. brewers block!

looking for some suggestions for the next brew. going to do a ale of some sort. atm ive got a ale down based on POR bitter and amerillo flavor and aroma with some dry hopping.

got my grain ordered but have not decided on what hops to go for. looking for something around the 20 to 25 ibu mark but something different to what ive got in the bottles atm.

I did a full northern brewer single hop a while ago. came up pretty good but just cant decide what to mix it up to hop wize.

80% ale jw
10.4% munich 1
3.1% crystal
6.3% wheat

any suggestions for hops?

cheers

hammo

What happened to the other 0.2% of the grain bill?

QldKev

If you like those hops why not mix it up by using other yeasts? This could change the flavour profile. EG using a belgian strain in an otherwise pale ale type brew...

You could do an English Pale Ale, stuffed full of EKG and Challenger.

To me that malt bill looks very European. I would go for some European hops as your ibu 20-25 looks very European too. Bitter with Liberty et al and aroma with saaz.

What are you aiming at? A USA style, or a UK Style.

US, I endorse the typical US hops already mentioned in the earlier posts.
UK, as mentioned, EKG, Challenger, Fuggles, Styrian etc.

Either way, you won't go wrong with any fo the suggestions so far.

Back