Hop Hog Partial Recipe Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killer Brew

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm looking to make the next logical step in my brewing apprenticeship and following BribieG's great tutorial try to complete a partial. Have also been looking to try a really hop driven brew and thought this would be the perfect chance as it can disguise some of the extract twang. Did a search but couldn't find a Hop Hog partial recipe so looking at copying Wet Dogz extract recipe (below) with some changes but may need some guidance.

Questions:
1) If I was to keep the Wheat Tin and change the other to grain (Maris Otter? Trad Ale?) would that work and how much grain would be recommended?
2) If that was the only change I was to make to this recipe would I have enough fermentables or do I need a brew enhancer?
3) Do I still need the steeped Crystal grains?
4) What do people think about the hop schedule as I saw a big variety in other clones of this beer?

Wet Dogz' Hop Hog
Ferment Vol: 21l

1.5kg Coopers Light Malt tin
1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt tin
700g Light Dry Malt
150g Crystal grains steeped

6l Hop Boil with 700g Light Dry Malt

10g galaxy @ 60 mins

20g centennial @ 10 mins
20g citra @ 10 mins
10g galaxy @ 10 mins

20g centennial @ 5 mins
20g citra @ 5 mins
10g galaxy @ 5 mins

20g centennial @ dryhop
20g citra @ dryhop
10g galaxy @ dryhop

US-05 Yeast pitched at 20/22c

Cheers for your patience and support of a newbie!

I read somewhere that Feral use (or used) 100% Galaxy malt for hop hog, maybe the 1.5kg of wheat would be too much so the idea of changing it to maris otter is a good one or maybe Barrett Burston Pale Pilsner.

Apparently Galaxy gets really high mash efficiency so maybe drop the 1.5kg of Wheat tin and mash 2kg of MO or BBPP and add 500grm of Dry Wheat Malt Extract to give it a better head.

Great beer though and even if it's not close I'm sure it will taste awesome.

So have been doing a heap more reading and playing around with the spready and come up with:

Killer Brews Hop Hog
OG: 1053 (lower than Hop Hog's 1059)
FG: 1013 (5.5% ABV)
IBU's: 63.6 (much higher than Hop Hog's 48)

1.7kg Black Rock Unhopped Light
1.2kg LDME
400g Caramunich
400g Crystal grains steeped

6l Hop Boil with 1.2kg Light Dry Malt

24g galaxy @ 60 mins

12g citra @ 15 mins
12g amarillo @ 15 mins
8g centennial @ 15 mins
8g simcoe @ 15 mins

12g citra @ dry hop after 5 days
12g amarillo @ dry hop after 5 days
8g centennial @ dry hop after 5 days
8g simcoe @ dry hop after 5 days

US-05 Yeast pitched at 20c

Am I headed in the right direction and should I be concerned with how bitter it might be?

I'd be toning that 60 min Galaxy back to about 10g as per your first recipe. Way too much bitterness - around 35 IBU with that addition alone as it stands. In fact, I'd be keeping the additions to 60, 10, 5 as you had up top.

Cheers.

Dropped it into Brewmate. Cut back the bittering hops to hit the Hop Hog level. Moving from the spreadsheet to Brewmate and I had to really up the grains & LDME to hit target SG though? Need to check if I have a big enough tub to deal with 1.6kg of grain for a partial.

Killer Brews Hop Hog (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.059 (°P): 14.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.80 %
Colour (SRM): 14.7 (EBC): 29.0
Bitterness (IBU): 47.3 (Average)

1.7kg 36% Liquid Malt Extract - Light
1.5kg 32% Dry Malt Extract - Light
800g 16% Caramunich I
800g 16% Crystal 10

0.8 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Simcoe (12.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop)
0.4 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop)
0.6 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop)
0.4 g/L Simcoe (12.2% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

What volume is your latest version for? At 21L as per you first version that will come out at 6.7% or thereabouts. Too high methinks.

I fear you're straying to far away from the original now. I'd be cutting the Crystal and Cara right back if you really want to use both.

Are you wanting to use tins/extract you have on hand? If not, I'd be keeping the wheat tin also.

Don't worry too much though, you'll still make beer.

lobedogg said:
What volume is your latest version for? At 21L as per you first version that will come out at 6.7% or thereabouts. Too high methinks.

I fear you're straying to far away from the original now. I'd be cutting the Crystal and Cara right back if you really want to use both.

Are you wanting to use tins/extract you have on hand? If not, I'd be keeping the wheat tin also.

Don't worry too much though, you'll still make beer.
This is what I couldn't work out. To get to the SG of 1059 in Brewmate I had to drop to 20L and really up the grains and LDME. This was really at odds with what IanH's spready had told me, must be doing something wrong. Am really aiming for 5.5% - 6% after bottle conditioning.

Have the can and extract on hand so wanted to use. Would like to cut back the grains and LDME though. Should maybe try again in IanH's spreadsheet.

Killer Brew said:
Hi All

I'm looking to make the next logical step in my brewing apprenticeship and following BribieG's great tutorial try to complete a partial. Have also been looking to try a really hop driven brew and thought this would be the perfect chance as it can disguise some of the extract twang. Did a search but couldn't find a Hop Hog partial recipe so looking at copying Wet Dogz extract recipe (below) with some changes but may need some guidance.

Questions:
1) If I was to keep the Wheat Tin and change the other to grain (Maris Otter? Trad Ale?) would that work and how much grain would be recommended?
Trad Ale will be fine. 2kg.
2) If that was the only change I was to make to this recipe would I have enough fermentables or do I need a brew enhancer?
No enhancer needed. Should be enough fermentables.
3) Do I still need the steeped Crystal grains?
You'll be mashing it with the trad ale malt.
4) What do people think about the hop schedule as I saw a big variety in other clones of this beer?
Do which ever hop schedule you want

Wet Dogz' Hop Hog

1.5kg Coopers Light Malt tin
1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt tin
700g Light Dry Malt
150g Crystal grains steeped

6l Hop Boil with 700g Light Dry Malt

10g galaxy @ 60 mins

20g centennial @ 10 mins
20g citra @ 10 mins
10g galaxy @ 10 mins

20g centennial @ 5 mins
20g citra @ 5 mins
10g galaxy @ 5 mins

20g centennial @ dryhop
20g citra @ dryhop
10g galaxy @ dryhop

US-05 Yeast pitched at 20/22c

Cheers for your patience and support of a newbie!
Hey killler brew,

For a partial mash, you'll need to use a base malt for part of the fermentables and extract to top up with. Grab 2kg of an ale malt and use 200grams caramunich I, this'll be your mash. Mash the grain with about 10L of water at 69*c for a mash at 66*c for an hour. When the mash is finished drain and rinse the wort from the grains with about 4L nearly boiling water and this will be what you do your boil with. It'll be about a 12L boil. Add your hops per recipe and when the boil is finished add your extract allow to cool and top up with 11L water.
This is what I just knocked up for an example

American IPA

Batch Size (L): 21.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.300
Total Hops (g): 165.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (°P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.72 %
Colour (SRM): 6.9 (EBC): 13.5
Bitterness (IBU): 52.0 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60
---------------
2.000 kg Ale - Ale Malt (BB) (46.51%)
1.500 kg Liquid Malt Extract - Wheat (34.88%)
0.600 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (13.95%)
0.200 kg Caramunich I (Wey0 (4.65%)
----------------
15.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
20.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
20.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
10.0 g Galaxy Pellet (13.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
20.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 2 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
20.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 2 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
10.0 g Galaxy Pellet (13.4% Alpha) @ 2 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
20.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 4 Days (Dry Hop) (1 g/L)
20.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 4 Days (Dry Hop) (1 g/L)
10.0 g Galaxy Pellet (13.4% Alpha) @ 4 Days (Dry Hop) (0.5 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 75 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with US05

Hope this helps

Cheers Musbus

Brewed this one up this morning. Successful first attempt with grain I think and was a lot of fun! Only issue I struck was that when I opened up the esky after an hour I found my water had drpped temp to around 55 degrees rather than hold at 67 degrees.

Ended up using a total of 800g grains, 1.5kg LDME and the 1.7kg LME which the spready suggested should hit an OG of 1053. Just tested and it is at 1060 though. Going to be a strong one!

Are you drinking this one yet? How does it compare?

Interesting what you said about your mash temp dropping to 55, I have wondered how well an esky would maintain temp...

Did you pre-heat the esky before you poured in the strike water?

Cheers, Matt

Matplat said:
Are you drinking this one yet? How does it compare?
Interesting what you said about your mash temp dropping to 55, I have wondered how well an esky would maintain temp...
Did you pre-heat the esky before you poured in the strike water?
Cheers, Matt
Yeah, just started drinking. Haven't done a side by side as yet but can say that it is a really nice beer that tastes as I remember HH to taste. As my first partial I can really notice the improvement in body compared to extract brews. Nicely balanced and my best beer to date according to the household judging panel!

I am attempting my second partial this weekend and had been considering improvements to my process. Am hoping to use my smaller, better quality esky but really like your idea of pre-heating it with some boiling water. Will report back on how it goes.

Hops not totally overpowering. Good head retention. Very tasty. Happy with that for my first effort at a partial.

image.jpg

Hi Op,

I love feral hop hog, is currently my favorite beer.

I tried to make a similar brew recently and it was also my best beer ive made to date, im relatively new to brewing after a 6 or 7 year hiatus.

My recipe for Hop Hog was as follows:
2 tins Black rock Light malt extract
1.2kg Dry wheat extract
300g carapit steeped
25g cascade, citra & galaxy @ 30min & 15min
10g simco @ 30min & 15min

Filled to 20l

Brew shop gave me the wrong yeast, i used saflarger w34/70

OG was @ 1060 FG 1016
Kegged and left for a few days on the gas

Was awsome ended up being around 5.6%

Latest posts