Hop Hog Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So i've decided to have a go at my own version of this recipe with the information i've been able to find on various threads. As this is my first time designing a recipe and not following one, id really appreciate some feedback from you pro's. this brew will be for a mates new years eve party so i dont want it to be a flop! (I know that a few of them have had the hop hog before and like it. Anyway here's what i've come up with.

Hop Hog Attempt (American IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.059 (P): 14.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (P): 3.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.80 %
Colour (SRM): 5.9 (EBC): 11.6
Bitterness (IBU): 50.3 (Average)

97.5% BB Galaxy Pale Malt
2.5% Caramunich I

60g (1.3 g/L) Chinook (10% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
20g (0.4 g/L) Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
30g (0.7 g/L) Chinook (10% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
60g (1.3 g/L) Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
50g (1.1 g/L) Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
20g (0.4 g/L) Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
30g (0.7 g/L) Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
20g (0.4 g/L) Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes
Fermented at 20C with Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I did read somewhere that this yeast can diminish hop flavour, any other suggestions?
Also will the 60 min boil and 60 min mash be long enough?
I no chill, so my plan is to try the 'guide to late hopping and no chill' thing, by only adding 20 min additions in the main boil, then once no chilled, doing a 10 min boil of about 6L wort (3L per ferment) and adding my 10 min and 0 min additions during that, then chilling in a sink etc.
Not really planning on dry hopping, as im hoping to get the big hop flavour and aroma from this late hop additions. If i do dry hop it will just be what i have left in the freezer.
Also I would like a slightly lower FG, bump up the alc a bit, what can i do to help this? i've just assume 75% attenuation in this recipe, im not quite sure what determines the attenuation rate? (im still a n00b)
All sounding alright?

Thanks for any input!

I was very happy with the brew - got 4th in the state comp with 37/50. I think the galaxy and citra worked really well. I made a APA with a similar mix of hops as you and it's come out a little muddled. Next time I'll do a 60min and 45min addition to increase the bitterness aiming for 65IBU and use a different malt such as JW Export Pils to help with the late hop flavour. Keg dried up the other day.

I was very happy with the brew - got 4th in the state comp with 37/50. I think the galaxy and citra worked really well. I made a APA with a similar mix of hops as you and it's come out a little muddled. Next time I'll do a 60min and 45min addition to increase the bitterness aiming for 65IBU and use a different malt such as JW Export Pils to help with the late hop flavour. Keg dried up the other day.

Ah nice one. I noticed you added salts, where did you get the salts from, might have to check the water report for Osborne park because I don't think the water is the best.

Kyle: While I've not done this precise recipe, I have done similar beers (with some cal chloride, cal sulfate and a whisper of magnesium sulfate for my water) and wy1272 and I don't think wy1272 in any way 'diminishes' hop flavour. It certainly adds a flavour profile of it's own compared to us05 at 18c, but the character works well in hoppy beers, especially with big American hops like these. At least, that's my humble opinion amongst many others. Cheers.

Kyle: While I've not done this precise recipe, I have done similar beers (with some cal chloride, cal sulfate and a whisper of magnesium sulfate for my water) and wy1272 and I don't think wy1272 in any way 'diminishes' hop flavour. It certainly adds a flavour profile of it's own compared to us05 at 18c, but the character works well in hoppy beers, especially with big American hops like these. At least, that's my humble opinion amongst many others. Cheers.

And a humble opinion is what I'm after! I've only used us05 and wy1056 so far. Keen to give 1272 a try. Maybe I'll use a different yeast for each 23L and compare.

And a humble opinion is what I'm after! I've only used us05 and wy1056 so far. Keen to give 1272 a try. Maybe I'll use a different yeast for each 23L and compare.

Not brewed that beer, nor used citra and galaxy but have done hoppy beers with chinook and 1272 and done the same recipe with 05 and 1056. 1272 does not, in my experience, discernibly strip hop flavour any more than the other two, all other things being equal.

good to hear. looking forward to brewing this and seeing how it turns out. hopefully i'll achieve enough bitterness to balance out the alc and big fruity hop flavour.

Hey cdbrown any improvements on this recipe?
How similar to hop hog is it?

Cheers

Also interested to know.

Tossing up between doing this recipe or a simpler Wit beer next week.

Have tried this a few times now, including yday on tap in WA while on holiday. Hopefully visiting Feral on Tuesday for more sampling - woohoo! I'm particularly impressed with that huge, prominent hop flavour that's not heavily overshadowed by bitterness (like i find so many IPAs I try these days).

Any update on the recipe for FB's Hop Hog??

Grain Bill: I'm guessing its mainly Galaxy (could you sub in Pale Ale or MO?) for the majority (~90-95%), plus some Munich 1 or 2, plus some Rye.

Hops: lots of Centennial, plus some Citra & Cascade.

So, any grains/hops missed?
Also, how to get that strong flavour without the bitterness? - just do the majority of hops at flameout & chill, then strain out the hot break & hops?

technobabble66 said:
So, any grains/hops missed?
Also, how to get that strong flavour without the bitterness? - just do the majority of hops at flameout & chill, then strain out the hot break & hops?
Galaxy with those hops as well.

You could get 48 IBUs worth from a 10min addition to take care of the flavour, then dry hop.

You sure about Galaxy in the hops?

I thought the idea of galaxy evolved from a guy who spoke to someone from Feral who mentioned Galaxy being v important in the recipe,
Entry 5 of this thread: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/36060-feral-hop-hog/
& it was assumed for a little while that this referred to galaxy hops. However, it later turned out that Feral uses Galaxy Malt grain for 95% of the grain bill. (Entry 6 of this thread). This was my deduction from these 2 threads, rather than any great knowledge, btw.

Also I'm not sure I tasted Galaxy in the flavour, though I could easily be wrong on that front; & I think it was believed there were 4 hops (so maybe galaxy fits in there somewhere...)
Sigh, .... Now I'll have to try some more!

I'm happy w that 10min addition, though TBH I'd be ok w dropping 5-10 IBUs.

What happens if you drop IBUs heavily (& drop unfermentables to balance) but crank out high hop flavour? Is this the nefarious "fruit salad" beer I hear about?

Talked to a brewer last week about the hops in hog hog. He said there's a lot of Amarillo in it.
That's all I got.

the brewer was at anhc last year, and I don't remember what he said, but I think he told us the hops ?

That's fantastic, mxd!!
...um... Do you remember what they were?? ;-))

Ianj84 - thanks! Was the brewer from feral, btw? Amarillo sounds more like it for me, TBH. ( plus the 3 C's).

He was the brewer for steam brewing, brews all the epic and 8 wire beers. I didn't even know they were contract breweries.

He told me there's a lot of Amarillo in it.

technobabble66 said:
You sure about Galaxy in the hops?
I spoke to one of the brewers and was trying to guess the hops. I guessed Citra and Galaxy and he said yes, then Amarillo and he said no, then he stopped the game. So that adds a bit more confusion.

He wasn't the head brewer though, and he may have been confused.

I'm tapping a 10min IPA on Friday with Citra, Galaxy and Centennial. I have some Hop Hog in the fridge for comparison so I'll see if the Galaxy works.

Back