Hop For Sale At Grumpys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hop rhizomes cost $15 each at the Jovial Monk

Jovial monk

jovial monks hops are cheap too cheacper than grumpies he sell sazz plugs 100grm for 9 bucks while grumpy sell the in pellets for 14 bucks

dunno about you blokes :blink:
are you chasing cheap beer additives or quality at any given price.i will always support any hbs that has quality (i will pay the price no worries)and advice which by the way doesnt cost anything.try getting that from your local gp or lawyer.
personally i reckon most hbs charge too little in this day and age. the company i work for is into negotiations for its third eba and are talking about 3 x 5 % wage increases.eg 15% over three years.
imagine the local hbs doing that every year.my weekly wages will boom so will the revenue to the tax man.poor hbs owner will still be trying to get more customers by under selling his hops etc to gain more turn over.
anyway my point is dont always chase the marginally cheaper product just support the fact that your hbs even has the products that we want no matter what the price.
he/she has to make a living as well as us.
mmmm i think i have said enough
anyway cheers all

big d B)

I hear your point and hence i buy from Homebrew shops and not K-Mart, but i have $12 in the bank and i think most HBS owners have more money thn me :)

I'm thirsty and want to grow hops so yeah cheap is good for me

You are right bigD. $35 made me jump, but. A lot of cash for a plant that's not even out of the ground yet.

It does compare well to 4 x 100g packets.

i will support any good home brew shop and i use three in adelaide i have been using of late Jovial monk and brewmaker and sometimes grumpies nad found all to be good as monk is closer than grumpies and his products are good i will him tooo and he has given good advice just as grumpies have so its choice on money and location but as dig d grumpies have been goood to so i see why you dont mind paying the extra but as newbee im loooking for the best deal and advice and jm is closer than the grumpy ones

i dont want to grow hops to save money, i want to grow hops for the same reason i brew beer... COZ I CAN! :)

hope all you brewers that are going to grow hops keep the forum posted on your progress over time.i would like to try this one day when i leave the tropics.

cheers
big d :)

No worries bigD. Will keep you posted unless they go toes up on me in which case I won't say a word. ;)

I have gone with Pride of Ringwood on the recommendation of grumpy Thomas who says that his backyard-grown POR are lovely in dark ales and stouts for aroma and flavour. He doesn't use his own POR for bittering - too unpredictable alpha levels. He scoffs at those who scoff at POR. He also says POR will grow pretty well anywhere in Australia (maybe not YOUR backyard).

I have skipped the Hallertau and Tettnanger because I don't really like lagers much. My favourite drinking beers are dark ales, strong ales, stouts and porters and not much call for those hops in those beers.

Will start preparing the bed this weekend. Getting kinda excited.

GSRman: you have got it sussed. I remember the big thrill I got as a teenager when I caught a fish on a lure I made in My Dad's Back Shed. Same when I eat my own grown vegies. Same when I make my own beer. Probably moreso when I brew my own beer with my own hops.

are these available anywhere else for a better price as i feel $35 is a heap! for what ya get, but if not i will order a Hallertau Via Grumpys , from Taz

Ben,

I'm sure they are available elsewhere but it's not easy. I went through the yellow pages and rang about 50% of the nurseries in there. All said they didn't have it. A few said they would ask their suppliers and call me back. Noone called back.

I rang the Agriculture Dept. They called me back after a week and said they didn't know of any suppliers. I rang two national seed suppliers and they didn't have it. I put out other feelers including asking jovial monk for mail order details but no one seemed interested to help out. :)

Ben,

I concur with your comments.

I especially like the business that works hard to get my business and i would like to add...then works harder to keep it..

I have never had any problems dealing with grumpys.
They are forthright, honest and up front with their customer relations.

I have just placed a $600.00 order with them - including my Rubbermaid Water Cooler.
I gave the details of Kookaburra gas - told them the prices i was quoted - told them that i was prepared to pay - 150.00 for a 10 gallon one.
One week later, they organised an account with Kookaburra, ordered my Rubbermaid, priced it at 150.00 and my order should have been despatched yesterday - providing Kookaburra has delivered the water cooler.

Thats what i call working hard for my business...
They now have Rubbermaids on sale for 150.00.

We all win. Price isn't everything - customers should put a value on effort and service.

I too will now get off my soap box...and have a :chug:

I like to pay for service if the price is ok. eg if there for sale some where else for $10 and they also serve then well i'll save the cash.

Mind you i have not had a responce about anywhere else so i may end up getting the hops from Grumpys (I never had anything againt grumpys just wanted to check price and see if there was anywhere else doing it)

thanks

Ben ring jovial monk he sells them 4 15 buck easch be quick and give a ring 08 83733894

But i gather there is freight etc on top of this?

I have sent 2 PM's but not heard anything.

I might rihg tomorrow morning to find out, otherwise i'll do a $100 order to Grumpys to get his (freight free)

also will Liquid yeats be ok via mail? (SA to MELB)

grumpys are $11 for Wyeats there $15 in melbourne

Ben

The liquid yeasts from grumpys are the 50ml ones.
The liquid yeast from G&G are the 125ml smack packs.

He has some that are just over 6 months old on special for under 10.00 - smack packs.

i have bought some.

Hope this helps.

Back