Quantcast

Hop Flower Basket For Kettle

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
I do like using hop flowers but they block my pump.

They have a great flavour but they block my pump.

They give me trouble every time i use them!!! But i like using them.

So what to do??????

I made a nice little Stainless steel mesh false bottom for my 50 liter kettle and it worked great. The hop flowers sat on the mesh and the beer filteres through no worries.

I now use an old 18gal keg to boil 50 liter batches and they dont have the nice round base in them and the little false bottom doesnt work. :angry:

I had plans to make a Bohemien Pils and got 4 2005 crop SAAZ plugs from Marks Home Brew in Newcastle. These would finnish up a big SAAZ pellet hop bill.

I built a Stainless mesh basket that sits inside my internal chiller and it worked a treat. The hop Flowers broke up and were rolling around in the boil no worries.

here are some pics. Its SS mesh, no idea what pitch mesh it is, i found it in an old obsolete equipment dump at work.

I threaded it together with A strand of copper wire.

cheers

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Tony,

Looks good, but one of your filter socks would work just as well - I've got mine suspended on a hook from above the kettle, works a treat...

cheers Ross

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
yeah thinking i might try one of those next.

I like to have those hops running free but will give it a go.

its only good for flowers, the pelets will go right through this.

cheers

Darren

Beer Dog
Reaction score
Tony,
Looks good to me. The extra movement of hops in that thing could only be beneficial. Well done.
Now to find the time to make one.
cheers
Darren

tangent

Reaction score
what a great idea!
now, where to find mesh....

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Reaction score
Tony.

I've got a dirty great big piece of the same stuff sitting over a container of ageing (3 1/2 year old) Goldings flowers I've been saving for a future Lambic or Flanders Red with a brick on top :lol: .

Think I know what I'll do with the mesh when I finally make the Lambic (or Flanders Red). :beerbang:

Warren -

Latest posts