Hop Dealz Australia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The Argon method" was started by AHB member Argon. It's basically adding hop teas to cubes at the start of or during fermentation. I'll have to try to find the original thread when I'm back at a proper computer.

Hi All,

Below are Commercial descriptions (taken from beerlegends.com) of what YOB is currently selling from my farm:

Victoria
Victoria Hops is a dual use hops with a high alpha acid content ranging from 11.5%-14.8%. Its really not that common of a variety, and is difficult to find in commercial beers. The co-humulone is high in Victoria Hops at 38%-45%. Myrcene is the only oil to be outside of moderate range is fairly high at 30%-45%. Myrcene itself gives a fruity fragrance that is mixed with woody, and herbal peppery tones.

Cascade
Cascade hops contains moderate alpha acid content ranging from 4.5% to 7%. Its real strength in brewing is in the aroma, as it was the premier aroma hop developed in the U.S. This mettlesome grower bears a verdant, botanic bouquet. It carries some spiciness to it as well. The aroma of Cascade also comes with citrus, sometimes compared to grapefruit. This no doubt comes from the higher levels of myrcene. Farnesene also registers fairly high in Cascade, which is used in the perfume and food industry.

Chinook
Chinook Hops will add 12%-14% alpha acid content to your hops schedule. It is a dual purpose alpha variety, and is good for the beginning of the boil, or mid-additions in brewing. Chinook is popular in American style beers such as Pale Ale and India Pale ale, but extends itself well to Seasonal Ales, and darker beers including Porter, Stout, and Barley Wines. It has a heavy aroma, and somewhat spicy bouquet. Some piney and herbal notes will be evident in a fresh batch.

Cluster
Cluster hops is still widely available, and makes a great dual purpose hops in homebrews and commercial beers. The alpha acid content of Cluster Hops is 5.0%-8.5%. The bitterness from this variety is not overwhelming, and is balanced with its floral flavor and aroma. Cluster Hops has fairly high myrcene oil content which definitely adds to this floral bouquet, which is a nice mix between earthy flavors and sweet fruits.

My comments:
We had great success with 2 collaboration beers last year using our hops. 'Call of the Hops' with Kooinda Brewing was a wet hopped harvest Pale Ale. 'Rubbing Elbows' with Mornington Peninsula was a highly hopped Rye IPA. Both used Cascade, Victoria and Chinook. We used 11%AA for Chinook, 10%AA for Victoria, and 4.5%AA on Cascade in the recipes and found this to be pretty close to what to expect. I'd suggest using 5% for Cluster.

Our hops are pulse dried under 37C in our purpose built drying room. Pulse drying causes the water content of the wetter part of the hop cone to redistribute to drier parts of the cone. Temperature is then brought back up to quicken the drying process. Volatiles begin to blow off at 38C, so we keep the temperature below this threshold to get the most flavour and aroma we can from our crop.

Our hops should shine late in the boil, flameout, and in hop back for flavour, and, dry hopping AFTER fermentation for aroma. All hop varieties add resinous and fruity qualities on top of what you'd expect from commercial variety profiles. They can be used for bittering, but we recommend you use a commercial hop with known AA% for your bittering additions and use our hops for flavour and aroma either on their own, or, with your favourite commercial varieties.

All our hops have been vacuum sealed and frozen.

As YOB has said, we'd love feedback. This is our first year crop and any feedback would be helpful.

Any questions, let me know. Happy to answer questions here or in private message.

Cheers,
BB

Mardoo said:
Awesome! I've been loving these so far for keg hopping and argon additions.
Can't agree more on the keg hopping. The Victoria keg hopped is AMAZING.

Chinook is now also listed, sorry about that.. didnt have the brain with me this morning -_-

Malt_Junkie... parts list for the Randal?

1: aldi style small water filter
2: ebay stainless steel filter
3: small length of 1/2' silicone hose + thread tape for fitting to lid
4: thread adaptor to barb connection
5: Disconnect and line to keg
6: disconnect and line to tap.
7: Hops

Yob said:
Very please to announce that HDA...

:party:

Belgrave Brewer said:
Hi All,

We had great success with 2 collaboration beers last year using our hops....

Damn it... I really don't need to buy any more hops

Edit:
*sigh*

Order placed! :icon_drool2:

Yob said:
Chinook is now also listed, sorry about that.. didnt have the brain with me this morning -_-

Malt_Junkie... parts list for the Randal?

1: aldi style small water filter
2: ebay stainless steel filter
3: small length of 1/2' silicone hose + thread tape for fitting to lid
4: thread adaptor to barb connection
5: Disconnect and line to keg
6: disconnect and line to tap.
7: Hops
link for the filter mate

nosco said:
Love the Argon method. Used it for years for my late hopped beers and never had a failure.

I've simplified things a littler recently. I just add a small bittering addition then a huge amount of hops in the cube (calculated as 10 or 15 minutes depending on my cube size). Works amazingly well.

Yob,

Popped in an order for some simcoe and cascade this morning.

Just wondering if you've got an estimated postage date? I'm busy planning my brews around a few night shifts and odd work hours at the moment.

No dramas if you can't get them out until next week.

Cheers mate,

JD

Sorry I missed your reply. I'll go on over and check it out on your web page.
Yob said:
I need to split us cascade, assuming that's the one you want?

Amarillo and citra should be listed.

Cheers

JDW81 said:
Yob,

Popped in an order for some simcoe and cascade this morning.

Just wondering if you've got an estimated postage date? I'm busy planning my brews around a few night shifts and odd work hours at the moment.

No dramas if you can't get them out until next week.

Cheers mate,

JD
Will be Monday now mate, cut off for delivery this week was 2pm today

No probs mate.

I'm in no Hurry. The fermenting fridge is currently occupied, and have got ingredients for a mild at the ready.

This place stinks of Citra and Mosaic.. it aint a bad thing and I assume that your place will smell the same soon :lol:

listed.

Must apologize, been so busy with the other ventures that HDA splitting has slipped.. will sort that out

Everybody who ordered the BM Flowers over the weekend may notice the express post pack is a size up from what you expected, these hops, as a part of how they are coming to us, are less compressed, more like just picked off the bine, dried and sealed.. er.. which is exactly what happened..

anyway.. I can just cram 2 x 100g into a 500g pack... sooooo.. in order for me to be able to make this work postage wise is to list their weight at 249g on my shipping calculator...

essentially, postage will be calculated based on what I can fit into the packs...

I'll take the cost differences to all these orders on the chin as a goodwill gesture to bring these to essentially a new market for craft growers. There is more going on in this space and expect good things to be coming.

HDA is pleased to help bring this to the market and provide a space for the burgeoning new growers to have a platform if production outweighs their needs and to keep it within this community.

Yob

Back