Hop confusion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmud

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am planning on making a version of this recipe http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/1458-parched-as-bro-pale-ale/ soon & am a bit confused by the hop info. The recipe author says the IBU info is correct, but the variety he uses is galaxy. Three fairly modest additions fine the recipe an IBU of 11ish, which I assume is just incorrect.

The galaxy at G&G are 14.9%AA (his were 5.5%, which sounds wrong too). Am I right? Is the hop info in that recipe way out? I want to brew something higher in IBU than 11ish - maybe around a standard APA like LCPA, so between 35 - 40. Are there any rules of thumb for designing balanced hop schedules? I've had a google but there is a shed load of info.

Would something like this work (IBUs calculated using brewmajig app, may be rough)

10g at 60 mins (14 IBU)
10g at 30 mins (11 IBU)
20g at 10 mins (10 IBU)

Without reading the recipe you refer to, IBUs and hop schedules are more relative to:
Volume of boil
SG of Volume
Volume of final ferment
and the other factors of fermentables and yeast etc...
it's all a fine balance.

All of these are relative. Are you an AG brewer or Extract? Ibus are also something entirely relative. Best info I got given for home brew was to get a landmark for my own brewery at home and go by taste and experience. Grab Ians spreadhseet for Kit Extract or Partial is available now. helps a lot, or grab Beersmith. Other guys will comment on recipe suitability. Galaxy is a doosy, and can be very strong.

Its all about volumes. That may sound vague, but what is your plan? Be more precise and the old guard here will offer help. Be specific.

Ok, typing this on my phone, so I apologise if its not quite right.

Grain Bill:

5.00kg Joe White Ale Malt
0.50kg wheat malt
0.30kg caraaroma
0.25kg Simpsons crystal pale
0.20kg carapils

(Proposed hops schedule)
10g Galaxy (14.9%AA) - 60 min
10g Galaxy (14.9% AA) - 30 min
20g Galaxy ((14.9%AA) - 10 min

Yeast: 1 x packet of rehydrated Notto

How accurate it is, I have no idea, but Brewmajig tells me to expect the following:

OG: 1.059 (assuming 75% efficiency, what I got last time)
FG: 1.015

ABV: 5.76%
IBU: 35 (though I may no-chill, so will be higher).

I BIAB, and plan on putting these things into the very excellent BIAB spreadsheet on these pages to get a more precise idea of what to expect - happy for any recipe feedback - I am brewing this so I have something that turns around quick and is enjoyable for anyone who likes the style - not wanting anything avant garde by any means .

Cheers and let me know if I left anything out.

EDIT: I have ordered the grain already & will be cracked & put in one bag (could possibly call this morning & alter) but otherwise, it's a done deal.

Some people say that galaxy too early in the boil leaves a harsh bitterness. I've only tried it later in the boil. At 10 minutes it's delicious. Otherwise recipe looks fine. Carapils might be surplus to your needs.

I've found that my all Galaxy pale ale takes a couple of weeks longer than my cascade/amarillo or cascade/simcoe pale ales to hit it's peak, early on it's almost overpowering grapefruit and harsh bitterness, once it mellows a bit though it's probably my favourite home brew for a hot day, just ridiculously easy drinking and refreshing.

Then again, I use a bit over double the amount of hops as what this recipe calls.

Pickaxe, by "landmark", do you mean use your mistakes to guide your next brew? That is good advice, but I also want to avoid 23L of in drinkable beer. I learned about AA% that way!

Lukiferj - I could grab a different hop for the first addition to the same IBU - would a noble hop be best?

The carapils (carsfoam) was in the first recipe, & I guess I added wheat for the same reason - will it have a negative impact or should I try & call to can the carapils?

Donske, what kind of IBUs are you talking, I'm not averse to using more hops, just need to be suitable for my BiL who usually drinks European lagers (though likes LCPA)

Looks like a decent enough APA recipe. Would use some kind of American hop. Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe etc to around 30-40 IBU. I would also drop the 30 min addition and use more late hops. eg Under 10 mins.

Try it with this time and try it without next time. Plenty of info around on people's opinions of what they bring to a brew.

Yob said:
no accounting for taste... both ways :lol:

sorry..
Haha! It's funny, when I first started brewing (very recently), replicating a LCPA was high on my list, now, I realise there are more subtle things I prefer in a beer.

lukiferj said:
Would use some kind of American hop. Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe etc to around 30-40 IBU. I would also drop the 30 min addition and use more late hops...
I don't mind this idea.

Sometimes I see a hop schedule with a lot of small, late additions, like every 5 mins. Does this kind of graduation make much difference? For example, would 5g at 20, 15, 10 and 5 be enormously different from say, 20g at 10?

Appreciate the responses gents.

Phil Mud said:
Donske, what kind of IBUs are you talking, I'm not averse to using more hops, just need to be suitable for my BiL who usually drinks European lagers (though likes LCPA)

Bittered to about 35-40 IBUs at 60min then around 25g at 10min, 25g at 0min and 30-40g dry hop in a 20L batch.

As I said though, it's almost undrinkable early, last one took about a month in the keg before hitting it's peak.

I'd probably cut it back a lot if I was brewing a version for someone not into hop forward beers.

Phil Mud said:
Hi guys, I am planning on making a version of this recipe http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/1458-parched-as-bro-pale-ale/ soon & am a bit confused by the hop info. The recipe author says the IBU info is correct, but the variety he uses is galaxy. Three fairly modest additions fine the recipe an IBU of 11ish, which I assume is just incorrect.
The old Recipe DB had no entry for Galaxy.

Yeah I know, but the author said the IBU info was correct. Maybe the new DB converted it back to the default IBU for cascade?

I'd use us05 or BRY-97 over nottingham if you want a beer with plenty of hop character.

I've not experienced 'scrubbing' of hops from BRY-97 like others have (in fact my best APA to date was with BRY97), but have tasted side by side double batches that were fermented with us05 and nottingham in Tony's bright ale and the nottingham had a significantly muted hop character.

Tangential yes, but if you are asking about the hops and the hop character of the beer you are asking about the whole recipe really (albeit unwittingly)...

Lecterfan said:
I'd use us05 or BRY-97 over nottingham if you want a beer with plenty of hop character.

I've not experienced 'scrubbing' of hops from BRY-97 like others have (in fact my best APA to date was with BRY97), but have tasted side by side double batches that were fermented with us05 and nottingham in Tony's bright ale and the nottingham had a significantly muted hop character.

Tangential yes, but if you are asking about the hops and the hop character of the beer you are asking about the whole recipe really (albeit unwittingly)...
This.

I like Notto - fantastic for Faux Lagers and anything with an early addition. But it does scrub hop aroma and flavour a bit.

No experience with BRY97 (it started going big when I wasn't brewing), but I do have some at home, which will be used for an AIPA.

I chose the "parched as bro" recipe partly because I have a pack of Notto that needs using. Having said that I don't want to root a brew for the sake of 5 bucks worth of yeast. I have to say, for a yeast people have lots of good things to say about, I'm stumped as to what it's good for - too clean for ester-y beers, strips hop flavour!

I think a key reason Notto is in the original is for the fast attenuation - I guess that's a trade off with the hop flavour - can I compensate with more late additions?

Yob said:
What he said.

Notto is good for clean english beers, faux-lagers (I snuck one past the judges at QABC, it's that good), anything you need done quickly. I reckon barleywine would be a good'un, some stouts/porters.

Back