Hop combo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sifidude

Reaction score
Hi guys,
About to mix my 3rd extract brew this weekend and am seeking advice on a hop combo, timings and quantity. I'm aiming for around the 25IBU mark for a pale ale with one tin of wheat malt, one of pale malt and some crystal 60 grain. I have the below hops to choose from;
Cascade
Galaxy
Amarillo
Saaz
Any suggestions welcome
Cheers

So,

Go all galaxy. - search stone and wood clone.

Or all amarillo will also be good. - search DSGA

Cascade + Amarillo late will be cool. - Drooling.

My suggestioning is done.

Use software to determine your IBU better...

Love you XXOO

Cascade and Amarillo make a pretty nice quaffer for a pale ale..

Cascade to 15 ibu and go big late to get to your 25, personally id go a bit higher to 35 - 40 but that's me

I'd go with Yob's suggestion on the hopping. But go light on the crystal unless you up the IBU's to keep it balanced. 150g max assuming your doing 23lts.

Thanks Cocko - so many options, so little time. And thanks for the man love.

Yob - I had considered the Cascade Amarillo combo until I read the thread on the LCBA that uses Cascade and Saaz, and that's about the time i began to change my mind. I'm after a quaffer hence the 25 IBU's but having said that i've just finished a Little Creatures Shepherd's Delight that is 50 IBU's and damn nice but not sessionable...

Cascade, galaxy and amarillo, equal quantities boiled for 15 minutes to achieve 25 IBUs.

I tried that beer from tap on Tuesday and thought it to be a poor example of an IPA.. No real body and not an overly hoppy.. But it was stacked beside hop hog. No brainer for me.

TBH I don't think I've found a creatures beer I properly enjoy.

I've got 750g of the crystal but had not planned to use it all. But then again, maybe I'll up the IBU's.

I just did a Galaxy and Amarillo pale ale and bottled it last weekend - not sure if i over did it with the early Galaxy additions on that one. I'll wait impatiently for another week before i try that one.

Czech Saaz. Clearly showing my newbie ignorance.

So that would be a no no with Casade?

Cocko said:
So,

Go all galaxy. - search stone and wood clone.

Or all amarillo will also be good. - search DSGA

Cascade + Amarillo late will be cool. - Drooling.

My suggestioning is done.

Use software to determine your IBU better...

Love you XXOO

Back