Hop Combinations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Did a search and couldnt find anything that was quite like what Im after. (there was this) so thought a topic specific to style and hop combos would be a good resource, something like..

Style =
Hop Combos = Bittering - Flavour - Aroma
Impression =

A recent one I did was this

Style = APA (Was aiming for an AIPA but bittering was a bit low) (3rd AG)

Centennial 9.7% 20.00 g Boil 40 mins
Wai-iti 3.3% 30.00 g Boil 20 mins
Galaxy 13.4% 10.00 g Boil 5 mins
Wai-iti 3.3% 15.00 g Boil 5 mins

Impression - These all work well together and make a nice floral summer quaffer.

When I do this one again I will probably up the Centennial to 60 min and add a 0 min addition of about 10g each of Galaxy and Wai Iti.

Yob

There is a small collection of links to posts covering various hop combos under
"VARIETIES & COMBINATIONS" in the New brewer questions - Preparation article.
There are probably other posts on hop combos - matter of doing site searches
of hop names but a dedicated thread would be useful I think.

HopsWheel.jpg

Great wheel of Hops .... although no Citra ?? or am I a blind MOFO.. I agree this is a topic that needs its own thread and be discussed at great depth .. even if it is an opportunity for the Beer gurus to share the knowledge bank with the rest of us ... I am keen to learn more .. Having been a little conservative with my Hops additions ( Pearle, Cascade, target, C Saaz, EKG, Northern Brewer, Citra, N/S flowers and Fuggles) ... They are the hops I have used over the past 2 and a bit years ...

thought a topic specific to style and hop combos would be a good resource, something like..

Great idea, I think this could be very helpful to a lot of people.

Fruity ale in the direction of an APA, 23l batch. Intention was to showcase the Riwaka. Couldn't find any tried & tested recipes, but suggestions to combine it with a piney hop such as Simcoe came up in a few threads, so I went in that direction.

Simcoe 15g @ 30min
Simcoe 15g @ 10min
Centennial 15g @ 10min
Riwaka 30g @ 10min
Riwaka 30g dry hopped

Apricot & plumb flavours (from the Riwaka I assume). Quite nice, could probably do with some tweaking to find better balance between the hops but for a first attempt with new hops I'm pretty happy with it.

Back