Hop Cage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewworld.com

Reaction score
I bought this ' Burley Cage ' off ebay ages ago for fishing. The guy still has them for sale too !
Of course i havent been fishing (just brewing) instead, and though it might make a great little 'hop cage' for my plugs.
Its made of stainless steel and has little eye for attaching to the dip tube, or dangling into the boiler, or just throw it in ! It might be better than the tea ball type as it will allow for the plug to expand without the chance of bursting open the cage.
It is no where near as fine a mesh as the tea ball type, but it will certainly hold the plug inside.
What do ya recon ? <_<

burley_cage.jpg

Looks the goods for plugs or flowers. The tea balls are great for pellets
James

I would be putting some finer mesh on those Burley Cages if I were using a plug to dry hop or to add to the kettle as the mesh on those things doesn't look like it could contain loose particles.

In my experience the plug will eventually break up and you will have seeds and flower petals (for want of a better word) through your wort or beer and this will require straining again.

C&B
TDA

Dont want to state the obvious, but make sure you clean and sanitise first. See my latest post on "the hopinator"

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
I would be putting some finer mesh on those Burley Cages if I were using a plug to dry hop or to add to the kettle as the mesh on those things doesn't look like it could contain loose particles.

In my experience the plug will eventually break up and you will have seeds and flower petals (for want of a better word) through your wort or beer and this will require straining again.

C&B
TDA

A Termimesh cover soldered to that frame might well be the way to go. I have been thinking along these lines for a while but have yet to do something about it. :D

Latest posts

Back