hop boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckstar

Reaction score
Hey guys im new here. I live in malanda nth qld and iv only just started brewing im up to my #6 brew. I like hoppy beers such as Little Creatures PA and Jamrs Squires ect. Iv brewed the Fruit Salad Ale that i read about on this site iv also brewed the CSA witg added cascade just put a CSA with added Amarillo yesterday. My question is wen u talk about ur hop schedule some same they do 60-30-15 or something like that does that mean u boil ur hop bags for 60 min 30 min and 15 min. I have a box full of hops such as cluster,POR flowers and pelkets, galaxy flowers, amarillo, cascade organic was just wondering the best way to use these thanks in advance for ur advice.

Yes 60 min means boil for 60 minutes. 10 means hops go in with 10 minutes boiling time left. Are you brewing all grain, extract or kits?

Thanks Liquid Gold that's what I thought I wasn't sure if u boiled for 60 or steeped for 60. I am brewing kit I have only used coopers kits so far such as Coopers pale ale and Coopers sparkling ale . I am only new to brewing is brewing extract using the liquid malt cans instead of kits??

Extract = Using Coopers/Muntons etc kits, or Liquid/Dry Malt and Dextrose and the like.

Partial = Using the above, and a combination of base malt (grain) and/or specialty malts (grain) either with a mash (converting starches to sugars etc) or steeping (extracting sugars etc from spec malts)

All Grain = Using nothing but malted grain in various forms.

Yeah using liquid or dry malt and bittering with hops yourself. If you're just using kits than there is no need to bitter with hops as it's already done but you can still add hops for flavour or aroma. I'd recommend getting some specialty grains and steeping for 30 min in hot but not boiling water (roughly 70C), strain out the grain and bring the liquid to boil then add hops and only boil for 5 to 10 mins before chilling and adding to fermenter. You can also dissolve the kit and fermentables after flameout to make it easier.

Welcome to the forum there's heaps of good info here so do plenty of searches and read up on things. Keep things simple at first and get on top of your cleaning/sanitising as it's very important. Enjoy :drinks:

Thanks guys thats good stuff to know. I only joined the forum yesterday because I have read almost everything I know from here and thought I should join to ask more questions and to say hi and thanks :)

Back