Hop Bill For Grosch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod

Reaction score
I am making a Grolsch brew and would like to know which of two hops bills I have

will give the closest hop profile to the original

I am making a 25 litre batch for both

option # 1

2.6 kg very light malt extract
.3 Kg dextrose
.125 kg crystal

hop bill
40g Saaz @ 60 minutes
20g Halletua @ 20 minutes
20g Halletua @ 10 minutes

option # 2

2.8 kg very light malt extract
.180 Kg Caramunich
.540 kg Crystal

hop bill
25g Northern Brewer @ 60 minutes
15g Saaz @ 15 minutes
8g Halletua @ 13 minutes
15g Saaz @0 minutes

I favour the grain bill , to say , of option 2

both grain bills give similar OG and FG

and the hop bill from option 1

as the I like the taste of Grolsch and assume the taste is mainly from the Halletua

I am using WYEAST 2042 Danish lager

Which brew or mix is going to give the closest outcome

I brewed an partial mash Grolschy clone this year that was only so so. From what I learnt:

- Option 1 will probably lack malt profile. Option 2 has WAY too much crystal for this type of beer. A good hybrid may be:

2.7kg Extra Light DME (I would go with dried malt extract for this beer as the liquids tend to be darker unless super fresh)
200g Caramunich
400g Dextrose or table sugar
15g Hallertau, 60min
10g Perle, 30min
10g Hallertau, 15min

- Grolsch themselves report using Perle late in the hopping schedule, otherwise Hallertau. Use Perle with restraint and early in the boil if you go with it.

- Make sure you ferment the 2042 at a low temp (8degC) with a big starter. Let it ferment for at least 3 weeks and perform a good D rest at around 18-20degC. You will also need to get it very cold for the lagering to tidy up acetylaldehyde. Make sure you also use yeast nutrient to keep the buggers happy.

There is at least one person who has done a few Groslch clones, do a search on the DB

Stew

The second one looks pretty close to the one I've made a couple of times, here and is a pretty good drop.

Onely difference your Crystal and Caramunich are a lot higher %. The one I linked to is a 69L batch.

QldKev

The second one looks pretty close to the one I've made a couple of times, here and is a pretty good drop.

Onely difference your Crystal and Caramunich are a lot higher %. The one I linked to is a 69L batch.

QldKev

You are correct I have stuffed it up again

this recipe comes from your post a while ago

I down sized your recipe

and made a typo

Should be

180g crystal

54g caramunich

I had posted this because of the hop question

put the other stuff in to answer a few of the questions that maybe came forward

my main question is about the hops

should there be more Hallertua

You are correct I have stuffed it up again

this recipe comes from your post a while ago

I down sized your recipe

and made a typo

Should be

180g crystal

54g caramunich

I had posted this because of the hop question

put the other stuff in to answer a few of the questions that maybe came forward

my main question is about the hops

should there be more Hallertua

You could throw in more Hallertua and virtually drop the Saaz if you want more a Grolsch Lager over the Grolsch Pilsner

Halletua @ 13 minutes... I can see reading the recipe I posted how you got this as for some unknown reason BS (BeerSmith) didn't put the boil time in for it, and the 13 was item number #13 in the recipe.
It should be Halletua @ 15 minutes

QldKev

You could throw in more Hallertua and virtually drop the Saaz if you want more a Grolsch Lager over the Grolsch Pilsner

Halletua @ 13 minutes... I can see reading the recipe I posted how you got this as for some unknown reason BS (BeerSmith) didn't put the boil time in for it, and the 13 was item number #13 in the recipe.
It should be Halletua @ 15 minutes

QldKev

I was trying to make a grosch that is normally sold in the green bottles which from memory is the lager

Don't think I have had the pilsener

I've just updated my knowledge :eek:
Seems there is only 1 Pilsner/Lager
"Grolsch Premium Pilsner - Known internationally as Grolsch Premium Lager, is Grolsch's flagship beer and comprises 95% of all sales. It contains 5.0% abv."

As per waggastew, I've also read about Perle being used. It's pretty close to NB and H anyway, but as waggastew mentioned I would be careful throwing it in too late.

I would make it as per recipe, and then look at tweaking it if you still felt the need. I think I mentioned to you before, my in-laws are Dutch and though it was an awesome drop.

QldKev

Latest posts

Back