Hop bag split in brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milk-lizard84

Reaction score
Just wondering if this has happened to anyone before? My hop bag broke in my brew when I was stiring it. Just wondering if I will need to filter the brew before bottle or will the hops settle to the bottom?
Ps newbie here

It'll be fine. They will drop to the bottom once the yeast is finished. If you can, put the fermenter in a fridge at 1 degree for a couple of days once its finished fermenting. That will get rid of the hops and alot more yeast.

Cheers

Major failure. Give up homebrewing now. It will only get worse.

On the other hand, those hop teabags (I assume it's one of those?) really only have a tiny amount of hops pellets and dust. That's a significant amount less than many of us chuck into the fermenter to dry hop, with no problems.

You'll be fine, they'll settle down and won't be a problem.

And, as bradsbrew said, if you can cold condition for a day or two, that will help to settle your brew down even quicker.

I gave up on hop bags, it's all nude swimming for my hops

Why were you stirring the brew ?
If dry hopping then throw hops in as fermentation finishes, and you don't want to be splashing your beer at that point to reduce oxidation.

After boiling the pilsner kit converter I was stiring it in the fermenter with the extract. Thanks for all the replies. Lesson learnt.
Cheers

Back