Hop Backs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
ahb,ers
im considering making/purchasing a hop back and was wondering if anyone has one in use and how you would rate them as compared to just using hop pellets instead of flowers in a hop back.flavour/aroma etc.

cheers
big d
lover of shiny s/s things

hopback.jpg

There was a guy on OCB who made a hopback out of an old pressure cooker.

Here are a couple of the pics.

Doc

PressCookerHopback1.jpg

and another angle.

I have some text that went with the pictures that I will post later (on the other computer).

Doc

PressCookerHopback3.jpg

Here is the associated text. The guy who did it is Kelvin Lewis.

I've changed it slightly the full bore taps have been turned around they seal better that way and I got ride of the handle. The seal is mad by introducing a piece of suitable hard plastic tubing in the V of the rubber seal .If you close the by-pass and the outlet tap blow in the hop back then close the inlet the thing will hold pressure for ages.You must do this test every time you set up!!!! I am going to add a full bore tap in the base to be able to empty as about a gallon is left in the hop back. Hope this is of some help Kelvin Lewis

Beers,
Doc

Is it just me or does that thing look just a tad over engineered? The one BigD showed with the screen in the bottom seems like it would do the job ok and with a whole lot less fuss.

yes I agree.
It does look the buisness though.

I did find one about a week ago that someone had made out of a stainless steel kitchen canister that you would put tea/coffee/sugar in.

Damned if I can find it now though.

Beers,
Doc

this one looks the goods
(if I can make the pic attach)

hopback1.jpg

I have thought about a hop as well , got to agree with KenEasy I am sure it doen't need to be so complex.
There is one shown and a bit of a rave on *** , for some reason I can't acess their site this morning.
Will post the link when I can

I would like to know of the advantages of these things

How exactly do you use them? You need to pump the wort through them don't you? And also have a CFC? So pump from your kettle through the hopback to your CFC, the advantage being that the volatile aromatic hop compound are extracted from the hops by the hot wort then chiller rapidly before they have a chance to escape.

Is this how they are used, as I've never really shown much interest in them so I haven't read up on them.

Cheers. JD

i believe that pretty well sums up its use justin.ive got/scored a fantastic s/s screen-pics later-but really like the unit i posted above.i no it would while away the hours on night shift fabing up a hop back but im seriously looking at buying the one above from more beer.

cheers
big d

Well I suppose we are all thinking the same thing

How much are they big d ?

Can anyone open the Australian Craft Brewers site today?

It's not working for me ( I've had trouble last week too )

Anyway there is a good article on building a hop back I would like to post here

with 1/2" fpt threaded fittings $79.00
with brass qd,s $91.00
with food grade plastic qd,s $97.00
with stainless clover fittings $99.00

all usa dollars

Ok here it is , thanks Johnnohttp://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Gear/GSanders/hopback.shtml

From memory Jayse had a post with a pic of his. Just a glass jar, lid, o-rings and SS scourer similar to this one....
I like it as it's so simple and cheap!

hopback.jpg

Latest posts

Back