Hop advice?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick667

Reaction score
Recently I brewed a Gladfields cream ale with 91.7% lager light malt and 8.3% toffee malt. It used Super Alpha hops and Nottingham yeast. I quite liked the finished malt flavour but wasnt to keen on the hops.
I want to try it again with some other hops and am looking for suggestions. I like a tingle of hop flavor in the background and very little bitterness.
Any ideas?

I still can't go past one of my all time favourites, Cascade. Add enough to give you the bitterness to balance your beer, and some late to give you some lovely hop flavour. It's not an aggressive hop like say Chinook etc.

Recently I brewed a Gladfields cream ale with 91.7% lager light malt and 8.3% toffee malt. It used Super Alpha hops and Nottingham yeast. I quite liked the finished malt flavour but wasnt to keen on the hops.
I want to try it again with some other hops and am looking for suggestions. I like a tingle of hop flavor in the background and very little bitterness.
Any ideas?

I like Wyeast 1272 with Liberty hops.
I really like the Hallertau family of hops for Lagers, Blondes & Cream Ales.
Keep your IBU's low too.

Timing of hop additions will impact flavour as well, early hops contribute mostley bitterness whilst late additions and dry hopping contribute mre flavour and aroma.

Cascade is a lovely citrus flavoured hop but there are better bittering hops, target or magnum for example.

What sort of hop flavours do you like, Saaz has a prety distinct flavor thet you may like.

Latest posts

Back