Hop Additions From Chill To No Chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanoontour

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm gonna brew this recipe tomorrow, Beer (scroll to the bottom), but will be no-chilling. So, in order to achieve the same IBU (i'm going slightly more) is it alright to reduce the intial hop addition to allow for the recommended late addition in the hope that you will still get the full aroma and hop taste but without excess bittering? Recipe is at home but the first addition was only a third of the recommended, the second was around half, and the 0 minute was whats listed.

Can you see any problems, either way it will make good beer but we all strive for great beer.

Cheers,

Hi all, I'm gonna brew this recipe tomorrow, Beer (scroll to the bottom), but will be no-chilling. So, in order to achieve the same IBU (i'm going slightly more) is it alright to reduce the intial hop addition to allow for the recommended late addition in the hope that you will still get the full aroma and hop taste but without excess bittering? Recipe is at home but the first addition was only a third of the recommended, the second was around half, and the 0 minute was whats listed.

Can you see any problems, either way it will make good beer but we all strive for great beer.

Cheers,

Hey vanootour,
Plenty of threads on here about this. If you're really keen to know all the options, search for things like "late hops with no chill" etc.
But, I'll give you the outline of what I do when I no-chill. BTW, I do both Chill & No-chill depending on various parameters on the day. Topic for another discussion.
Basically I leave the 60min addition as is, because, really, youre not going to get more IBU's after 60mins anyway. (I assume you understand the concept of time * AA = IBU)
Anything that is supposed to be added 20mins to go or less (later) I wont add. I dont use hops at more than 20 mins bside the bittering anyway. Some recipes call for 40min additions - but these are usually the first (bittering) addition. I would then adjust the amount (less to achieve same IBU) to compensate for No-chill. After fermentation is complete and I have crash chilled to 3 I then add these hops to a coffee plunger, add some 90C ish water for a couple of minutes, then add this to a second fermenter when I rack. Racking is another topic on its own, but I usually do it at the same time I add gelatin. A few days then package.
There are heaps of different methods. This is just one that suits me and gives good results.
mckenry

Had mixed results with late hopping and cube hopping... some turned out great others really flat.

In terms of aroma... best method is to chill the cube down, remove 3-4L and reboil with your late hops/flame outs... then drain into your fermenter so the resultant temperature is right for your yeast pitch (eg ale @ 18C).

Or do the coffee plunger method with boiling water, similar result.

I tend to dry hop more, and even keg hop now... perhaps my hop addiction is getting worse.

Two very good suggestions, leaning towards reboiling some of the wort, add the hops then pour into the fermenter.

So if you were gonna no-chill this recipe, what would your hop additions look like (time and quantity). I'm guessing standard first addition as these won't be affected by the NC, then reduce the 10 min addition to reflect IBU's required, then use the reboil/plunger pot for the 0 minute addition once the cube has cooled and is going into the FV?

Add your bittering additions as per normal. Make the 20 minute addition a flame out addition. then add the 10 min and 0 min in your mini boil. This is argons method and it works well.

Hi

Other than bittering I do a mini boil with all other hops required then strain into fermenter then mix it well and pitch.

You don't have to think about extra IBUs, get any surprises and it only takes 15 mins or so.

Then you can just follow a recipe direct.

Mark

Cheers,

Check out Argon's guide to no chill late hopping, I use it all the time and have had great success. I can't post the link as I'm on the iphone (there may be a way to do it but I'm not good with tech stuff). Should be easy to find, but I'll post the link when I get home in a few hours.

JD.

Here's the link in my sig.

Anyway... i've tried a few other methods and have had good results. French pressing is god too, but you have to get your timing right... that is, when fermentation is about 3/4 complete, as you want there to be some interaction with fermenting yeast and the hop compounds you have just added in.

As said earlier i typically take a recipe and just add anything between 15 and 5mins into the cube, then any flameout, whirlpool or hopback additions i do the reboil thingo.

example;
60 = 60
30 = 30
20 = flameout into kettle
15 = cube
10 = cube
5 = cube
0 = reboil

So for this recipe, as the first addition is at 20 minutes, I will use this as the main bittering addition (taking into account the NC) and the 10 and 0 minutes will be done as a mini boil for a later addition.

Cheers for the info, tomorrow will prove interesting for sure.

Here's the link in my sig.

Anyway... i've tried a few other methods and have had good results. French pressing is god too, but you have to get your timing right... that is, when fermentation is about 3/4 complete, as you want there to be some interaction with fermenting yeast and the hop compounds you have just added in.

As said earlier i typically take a recipe and just add anything between 15 and 5mins into the cube, then any flameout, whirlpool or hopback additions i do the reboil thingo.

example;
60 = 60
30 = 30
20 = flameout into kettle
15 = cube
10 = cube
5 = cube
0 = reboil
I always no chill but as I use brewmate I tick the no chill box which reduces the hop additions accordingley. However the example you posted Argon will come in handy. Thanks.

This is how I would do it, without stuffing around the next day with a mini-boil

Ingredients for 6 U.S. gallons (23 liters)
Target Original Gravity: 1.066 (16.21 Plato)
Approximate Final Gravity: 1.016 (4.08 Plato)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70%
Anticipated SRM: 17
Anticipated IBU: 23.8
Anticipated ABV: 6.66%
Wort Boil Time: 90 minutes
(5.44 kg) British Pale Malt 3L
(0.45 kg) Crystal 40L
(0.45 kg) Munich Malt 8L
(0.22 kg) Victory Malt 25L
(0.22 kg) Crystal 120L
(0.11 kg) Pale Chocolate Malt 200L
(15 g) Centennial pellet hops, 10% alpha acid (10 min.)
(15 g) Amarillo pellet hops, 7% alpha acid (10 min.)
(30 g) Centennial pellet hops, 10% alpha acid (Whirlpool)
(30 g) Amarillo pellet hops, 7% alpha acid (Whirlpool)
(50 g) Centennial pellet hops, 10% alpha acid (Cube)
(50 g) Amarillo pellet hops, 7% alpha acid (Cube)

Back