Hop Additions And Chilling Times

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbee(r)

Reaction score
After having made a few attempts at AIPAs recently, I am finding that the hop profile going in is getting good IBUs in brewmate (last one was 70 IBUs) but are not delivering, at least to my palate, the bitterness and intensity of flavour I have been chasing. All the hops are 2010 or 11 and only recently opened, stored in the fridge, so think hop quality is not the issue. I use one of the craftbrewer hop socks.

I toss the 0 minute additions in, turn off the boil and leave for only a couple of minutes while I set up and drop in the immersion chiller and getting the chilling underway - which then usually takes 10- 15 minutes.

How long are people leaving the brew to settle for before chilling after 0 minute additions, and are you leaving the hop bag in during this time?

After having made a few attempts at AIPAs recently, I am finding that the hop profile going in is getting good IBUs in brewmate (last one was 70 IBUs) but are not delivering, at least to my palate, the bitterness and intensity of flavour I have been chasing. All the hops are 2010 or 11 and only recently opened, stored in the fridge, so think hop quality is not the issue. I use one of the craftbrewer hop socks.

I toss the 0 minute additions in, turn off the boil and leave for only a couple of minutes while I set up and drop in the immersion chiller and getting the chilling underway - which then usually takes 10- 15 minutes.

How long are people leaving the brew to settle for before chilling after 0 minute additions, and are you leaving the hop bag in during this time?

A sample recipe for a 23L batch

American IPA

Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.50 %
Colour (SRM): 9.5 (EBC): 18.7
Bitterness (IBU): 69.6 (Average)

70% Maris Otter Malt
25% Pilsner
5% Crystal 80

1.2 g/L Columbus (14.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

I dunk my chiller in 10 mins from the end, and get my pump going to recirculate the wort at the same time. That makes sure both chiller and pump are sanitised by the hot wort. I turn the water on as son as I've turned the gas off - I don't leave it to settle at all. Having said that, my late hops normally go in 1 min before flameout.

A sample recipe for a 23L batch

American IPA

Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.50 %
Colour (SRM): 9.5 (EBC): 18.7
Bitterness (IBU): 69.6 (Average)

70% Maris Otter Malt
25% Pilsner
5% Crystal 80

1.2 g/L Columbus (14.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

Newbeer, Have a look at typical IPA recipes on the recipedb
IPA Recipe Database
Your recipe is missing the "dry hop" addition. These are hop additions generally made to the fermentor after primary fermentation has ended (so bubbling CO2 doesn't drive off aromas etc). The dry hop additions give the strong aromas and flavour associated with ipas. Do a search on dry hopping. Most people add the hops to the fermentor and then taste the beer every day and when it reaches the desired intensity they rack off or bottle. Leaving dry hops in for too long can lead to grassy or vegetative flavours.

Have fun!

IPA Recipe Database
Your recipe is missing the "dry hop" addition. These are hop additions generally made to the fermentor after primary fermentation has ended (so bubbling CO2 doesn't drive off aromas etc). The dry hop additions give the strong aromas and flavour associated with ipas. Do a search on dry hopping. Most people add the hops to the fermentor and then taste the beer every day and when it reaches the desired intensity they rack off or bottle. Leaving dry hops in for too long can lead to grassy or vegetative flavours.

Have fun!
Yep - all good points, -and have dry hopped and french pressed with others, but the IBUs are about bitterness.....

IPA Recipe Database

Have fun!

Here's my Galaxy IPA recipe. 2.5g/L dry hop.

Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines
14B-India Pale Ale(IPA)-American IPA

Minimum OG: 1.056 SG Maximum OG: 1.075 SG
Minimum FG: 1.010 SG Maximum FG: 1.018 SG
Minimum IBU: 40 IBU Maximum IBU: 70 IBU
Minimum Color: 6.0 SRM Maximum Color: 15.0 SRM

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 50.00 l Wort Volume After Boil: 45.00 l
Volume Transferred: 38.00 l Water Added To Fermenter: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 38.00 l Volume Of Finished Beer: 38.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.050 SG Expected OG: 1.056 SG
Expected FG: 1.013 SG Apparent Attenuation: 75.0 %
Expected ABV: 5.6 % Expected ABW: 4.4 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 52.0 IBU Expected Color (using Morey): 12.3 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 0.94 Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 20 degC

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
Joe White Traditional Ale Malt 9.500 kg 80.5 % 6.0 In Mash/Steeped
Joe White Crystal Malt 0.750 kg 6.4 % 7.7 In Mash/Steeped
US Carapils Malt 0.750 kg 6.4 % 0.2 In Mash/Steeped
Joe White Light Munich malt 0.400 kg 3.4 % 0.7 In Mash/Steeped
Joe White Dark Crystal Malt 0.400 kg 3.4 % 7.0 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
Australian Galaxy 13.4 % 35 g 26.4 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End
Australian Galaxy 13.4 % 35 g 16.0 Loose Pellet Hops 20 Min From End
Australian Galaxy 13.4 % 35 g 9.6 Loose Pellet Hops 10 Min From End
Australian Galaxy 13.4 % 35 g 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops At turn off
Australian Galaxy 13.4 % 100 g 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops Dry-Hopped

Yep - all good points, -and have dry hopped and french pressed with others, but the IBUs are about bitterness.....

I also thought that flameout additions were for aroma. My understanding is that it goes something like:

60mins (bitter) -> 15mins (flavour) -> 0mins (aroma)

So if its IBU/bitterness you're after, then you need to look at your 60mins additions.

I guess it also depends on your brewing method, I've found that when I BIAB I have a higher than normal SG, which decreases the utilisations of the hops, hence I've been upping my hops by about 20%.

On the other hand, I could be completely wrong and now look like a right twat :D

Latest posts

Back