Hooking up a Soda Stream machine to a 6kg C02 bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, First time poster and just signed up to comment and get advise.

yes it is always going to be cheaper to just buy the coles or woolies brand crap water but i personally am not after it to just save money. i am to not support the big companies and am always trying to reduce waste and don't want to keep buying and throwing away plastic bottles which the local council is not even recycling anyway.

my aim would be to modify my kegarator and have a separate outlet and tap from a dismantled sodasteam machine so i can run a co2 bottle with its only regulator and carbonate on demand. otherwise like woodwormm said. carbonate a complete 19L corny keg worth and have cold soda water always on hand.

Been home brewing for a while now and just recently got into kegging which surprises me i didn't do it earlier as i work with pheumatics and stainless all day at work and setup control and conversions are really easy if you know what your doing.

Just my 2c

I've done what you want to do but cheaper
I think it was with a paintball fill adapter from China. It would have been less than $50 but I can't recall and a CG320 stem for the bottle end.

I removed the paintball adapter that screws down on to the paint ball bottle and screwed that into the soda stream adapter from China goes into the unit and has maybe a 1/4 inch female. sorry it is too hard to provide pics one some of it but I'll snap from the bottle end.

I've used this for years on fire extinguishers and now my key King bottle. Saves a shit tonne especially since I've going free CO2 find at the moment

I'm looking to dedicate a 19L keg to soda/mineral water in the kegerator build I'm about to start - are there any water treatments or gas pressure recommendations?

We had been buying lots of mineral water from Coles for 79c a bottle but I really don't like adding to landfill, recently we have been getting Soda Stream refils (@ $19ea!), I was instead thinking that if I decided to keep that 4th keg for beer then perhaps I could just look at refilling our Soda Stream cylinders off my CO2 tank instead..

That's EXACTLY what I was after, Thank sman

$150 though :blink:
that price is ridiculous, i have a simple brass adapter that screws to the gas bottle and cost less than a tenner, simple procedure - place your empty soda stream bottle in the freezer for a few hours until it frosts up.
then screw onto adapter and gently open the gas bottle, frost on cylinder will disappear as the soda stream fills when the frost is gone cylinder is full simple.
i can 100% vouch for this process as it was the same as i used when i was pistol shooting to refill my CO2 air pistol cylinders and they are a much thinner wall, i still have it somewhere if you want a picture ill see if i can find it

that price is ridiculous, i have a simple brass adapter that screws to the gas bottle and cost less than a tenner, simple procedure - place your empty soda stream bottle in the freezer for a few hours until it frosts up.
then screw onto adapter and gently open the gas bottle, frost on cylinder will disappear as the soda stream fills when the frost is gone cylinder is full simple.
i can 100% vouch for this process as it was the same as i used when i was pistol shooting to refill my CO2 air pistol cylinders and they are a much thinner wall, i still have it somewhere if you want a picture ill see if i can find it

That sounds good, where did you get the adaptor from ? I’ve seen stuff on eBay but it’s a bit more than a tenner.
Cheers

I swapped 2 sodastream cylinders valves with paintball 800psi reg valves with m18 threads and fill via the hp port. simple fitting type30 to hp quick connect. I use these as road Warriors/backup if my d size runs out.

Use digital scales to fill to gross weight. You also have to invert the big cylinder.

As far as soda water production i just use a carb cap and refill pet bottles.

Last edited:
A few years back we bought a Soda Stream and wife loves the carbonated water and I used to make regular Coca-Cola using a Coca-Cola 5 gal Bag-in-a-Box to add syrup to the glass before adding in the carbonated water. I have since bought 3 paint ball tanks 2 ea 24oz and 1 ea 20 oz and and adapter to soda stream-paint ball thread. I also bought a 20 # CO2 tank that has the dip tube (IMPORTANT) and have it refilled at the local gas supply for around $21.00 I also have a digital scales, and a set up to attach to the 20# tank and paint ball threads using a 2 way valve. When the tanks are empty, I just refill them to the proper ounces of CO2. Once full, just attach the soda stream to paint ball adapter to the paint ball thread and screw into the Soda Stream.

I also have an adapter from Paint Ball to the CO2 gauge set for kegging. and fill the Soda Stream and use them for my gas for kegging, via the adapter. Works very well.
20171224_224554873.jpg

This is where I am using the Soda Stream to pressurize my ferment, rack the beer from the side valve through a 5 micron filter into a gassed keg.
20171224_224554873.jpg
Mini-Brew6-5_pressure-rack-filter.jpg

20171224_224554873.jpg
Mini-Brew6-5_pressure-rack-filter.jpg

I've got a freedom one, it works great. Was more like $90 delivered, not $150.

EDIT - One thing I dont have, that I'd like, is a high pressure type-30 female to type-30 male t- or y- adapter so I can have it and my regulator attached to the bottle at the same time... I could have sworn kegking used to sell one, but it appears they dont anymore

Last edited:
That sounds good, where did you get the adaptor from ? I’ve seen stuff on eBay but it’s a bit more than a tenner.
Cheers
Is this the sort you are talking about? https://www.co2-adapter.com/choose-adapter/ From Germany, so not as cheap as e-bay (about $85 delivered to Aus), but at least it's designed for Aus sodastream cylinder threads. The similar, but cheaper ones, on E-bay or Aliexpress that I could find require an adapter piece from the T 21x4 sodastream thread to Aus sodastream thread, which I haven't been able to find. Just saying in case someone is thinking of getting the cheapest they can find. For example https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CO2...&terminal_id=db24302ac4c04d9abfea71bf48ef4cef

I've got a freedom one for sale(keg King I think)with the long tube on it. Say $65 delivered. Pm me if interested.

I've had one for a few years as well and it does work nicely.

These days I just use a 9 or 19 litre keg and carb up the water and pour from the tap.
We have managed to get the

We should have these Freedome One adaptors now for $48
https://www.kegland.com.au/freedomone-sodastream-adapter-hose-36inch.html

We also have the longer hoses for $58
https://www.kegland.com.au/freedomone-sodastream-adapter-hose-72inch.html

So you dont have to pay anywhere near $150 anymore.

Also the gas cylinders are currently a bargain at $89:
https://www.kegland.com.au/co2-gas-cylinders-2-6kg-full.html

Is this the sort you are talking about? https://www.co2-adapter.com/choose-adapter/ From Germany, so not as cheap as e-bay (about $85 delivered to Aus), but at least it's designed for Aus sodastream cylinder threads. The similar, but cheaper ones, on E-bay or Aliexpress that I could find require an adapter piece from the T 21x4 sodastream thread to Aus sodastream thread, which I haven't been able to find. Just saying in case someone is thinking of getting the cheapest they can find. For example https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CO2...&terminal_id=db24302ac4c04d9abfea71bf48ef4cef

I would be interested to know what you think about these. It seems the thread is not correct for Australian cylinders.

Also with the new sodastream cylinders if you push the pin down too far the flow of gas completely stops which makes them quite difficult to fill with this type of equpiment. You really want a filling device where the piece that pushes the pin down can be adjusted while the sodastream cylinder is conneted to the sodastream adaptor. We are going to make some new sodastream adaptors like this soon.

The aliexpress one definitely isn't Australian as I stated. I haven't made the plunge re the German one yet, so can't say. I'd trust that it is for the Australian cylinders though, given they make ones for Europe (with the same large cylinder thread we have), for the US (US large cylinder thread, but same SS thread as Europe) and the Aus/NZ model (Aus large cylinder thread (same as the Euro) and our SS cylinder thread).

Regarding the 'new' SS cylinder valves the German site does explain how to refill them, but the best explanation out there is this video where he shows a cut down version of the 'new' valve. They can be re-filled, but they need a low pressure (slow) start.

Last edited:
We have managed to get the

We should have these Freedome One adaptors now for $48
https://www.kegland.com.au/freedomone-sodastream-adapter-hose-36inch.html

We also have the longer hoses for $58
https://www.kegland.com.au/freedomone-sodastream-adapter-hose-72inch.html

So you dont have to pay anywhere near $150 anymore.

Also the gas cylinders are currently a bargain at $89:
https://www.kegland.com.au/co2-gas-cylinders-2-6kg-full.html

I dont spose you're selling the type-30 regulator double adapters kegking used to have but no longer do... was part number RET3468. Would be handy so I can use a freedomone and a regulator at the same time

I dont spose you're selling the type-30 regulator double adapters kegking used to have but no longer do... was part number RET3468. Would be handy so I can use a freedomone and a regulator at the same time
Run the freedom one from a tee in your regs hp gauge port.

I was rather hoping not to need to go down that route, simply because the regulator's high pressure guage is a million times better than the tiny one on the sodastream hose. Oh well.

I was rather hoping not to need to go down that route, simply because the regulator's high pressure guage is a million times better than the tiny one on the sodastream hose. Oh well.
any HP gauge really is only worthwhile to tell almost empty to empty, once the last bit of liquid co2 flashes over the hp gauge will begin to fall, use scales to tell how full the cylinder is.

Latest posts

Back