Hooking up a Soda Stream machine to a 6kg C02 bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breakbeer

Reaction score
Recently got given a Soda Stream & the C02 bottle that came with it has finally run out. I want to hook it up to my 6kg bottle so I don't have to pay $60 each time it runs out.

I could've sworn I saw an adaptor on the Craftbrewer website a while ago, but all I can find is an adaptor to hook up a Soda Stream cylinder to a standard Reg'

Now, before everyone says 'why don't you just make a keg of soda water?', I've already though of that but I'll be buggered if I'm giving up precious space in my kegerator & dedicating a tap to it. I'd like to continue using the Soda Stream machine, but the tight ass in me wants to make use of the C02 bottle I already have

Does anyone know any details about these?

I'm sure there'll be different pressures needed to run a SS as opposed to serving Beer, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it

Cheers!

I would think that a 6 kg bottle would hold a lot more pressure than a soda stream one, without a way to regulate the pressure you could be dicing with death.

My assumption is that it'll still run through the reg, just at a higher pressure than I use for serving beer

I thought you'd just turn off the gas running to my kegs (at the manifold) & crank it to 200 while I make the Soda

Not right?

I'd be more concerned with just how much pressure a soda stream system is designed to take, I have no idea so will refrain from commenting further except to say be careful.

Just had a look at the machine again & the maximum working pressure is 145psi or 10bar

That seems workable

I swear I've seen this kind of adaptor somewhere, from memory it cost about $100 though

$12 swap at Big W/Woolies.

ok sure the op wanted to go from 6kg cylinder to a soda stream unit, I do remember seeing some devices for doing so, bum $12 exchange($60/Kg+), is for the small ones and is highway robbery compared to what you pay to have a keg on legs or keg king bottles exchanged. The link to keg king is for soda stream bottles to be used with a regulator. I've seen it just need to remember where.

Master's, The KegKing catalog has an adapter called FreedomOne, which is for connecting fullsize C02 bottles to Soda Streams.

Screen Shot 2013-02-18 at 9.23.31 PM.png

Stux said:
Master's, The KegKing catalog has an adapter called FreedomOne, which is for connecting fullsize C02 bottles to Soda Streams.

That's EXACTLY what I was after, Thank sman

$150 though :blink:

breakbeer said:
Now, before everyone says 'why don't you just make a keg of soda water?', I've already though of that but I'll be buggered if I'm giving up precious space in my kegerator & dedicating a tap to it. I'd like to continue using the Soda Stream machine, but the tight ass in me wants to make use of the C02 bottle I already have

Cheers!

getting OT, but i've recently dedicated a keg space in my keezer to a soda keg (still got 4 beers in there) i'm realising beer on tap is as much about pouring from a tap as it is about the beer! because i enjoy tap pouring soda water too! and a pint of soda is a great way to hydrate me, wash and cool the glass before a beer!

for half the price of those adaptors you could turn your reg into a dual output and if you've got space, carb your soda outside your keg fridge, then just fill your soda stream bottles as required with a picnic tap and put in the kitchen fridge... seeing as soda stream will carb at room temp i'm guessing a keg would too? may just take a day or 2 longer...

I carb my soda water at 340kpa or so for 3 days or so ;)

But that's in the fridge

After that I just run it at 80kpa normal pressure. I have checkvalves between all the kegs.

Towards the end of the keg it might start going flat, but it works pretty well, and I sometimes just knock it up again if I need to

Soda Water is 80c for 1.25L at coles.
one of those KK adapters is $150

80c * 150 = $120
1.25L * 150 = 187.5L (or about 10.5 18L corny kegs or just short of 4 50L kegs)

so the KK adapter, CO2 usage and the amount you spent on a tap, lines, disconnects and keg... well you do the maths.

If you're drinking a lot of soda water, i guess it's fair enough, but for 80c, a carbonator cap and a bonus PET bottle for take aways... i'm not so sure it's worth all the hassle.

2c

Edit: Sorry, 80c per 1.25L of Mineral water from coles, i'm pretty sure soda water is cheaper again.

For $150 I'd rather buy a 9L party keg that can sit on the hump of my Kegerator, with a picnic tap attached. Looks like I'd also have to get a dual pressure reg

I can then just empty it out when I wanna fill it with beer to take to parties, it is just water afterall.

Thanks for the replies

my 3 cents now.. if you're carbing soda in a 9L , get a real corny one, not a thin chinese one...

(btw - my 9L just blew this am.. lasted 3 days.. yep some of us drink quite a bit of soda!)

Back