Honey/Sweet Taste developing in finished beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerSwiller

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have made couple of brews lately and due to my own fault I don't think the filter/keg and tubing was sanitised properly or at all and once filtered and kegged the beer tasted fresh, hoppy ext (although still very green) but once it has been sitting for a few weeks noticed that it was developing a honey aroma and sweetness that was overpowering the actual beer and hop flavour.
Has anyone else ever had this problem and would it be due to bacteria and/or possible oxidation?

Think I will be tossing this keg as the honey/sweet aroma and taste is really ruining the beer. :(

I have had this happen a couple of times and thought maybe it was oxidation, will try my next batch not using going through the CB filter and see how it turns out.

Thanks !

Look up vdk (vicinal diketones) and 2-3 pentanedione. There is a very good podcast by Charlie Bamforth on vdk causation and removal - might be on youtube and/ or vimeo.

Thanks heaps guys, a good bit of info..
I have a lot of times not sanitised keg and filter gear as i just soak in sodium percarbonate, rinse and store.. I thought that possibly it was some sort of bacteria or oxidation that produced this flavour and I was under the impression that if you didn't taste Diacetyl at filtering or bottling then you were ok.. but obviously not.

Interesting. I have tasted huge honey flavours and aromas in beers (not mine) that have had zero honey additions. It can be a bit sickly.

Another thing with this beer i noticed, is that the head retention has become very poor?

This happened to a keg of mine which hadn't been drinking much of and there was only a couple of litres left. That's all I had to say, posting to subscribe to thread.

Edit: shit, if it's bacterial I hope it was killed when I sanitised the keg because the beer that's in it now is particularly delicious. D-:

Back