Honey Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barls

causer of chaos and mayhem
Reaction score
can anyone help by putting a recipe up for a honey pilsner or wheat beer. or help by pointing me in the right direction as id like to try one of these my self

Use your favourite wheat or pilsner recipe and either replace some of your malt with 1/2 a kilo of honey or just add it on top of your other ingredients.

Depending on what sort of honey you use, will change the final flavour.

Don't do an APA style beer, this will tend to be heavily flavoured and overpower the honey flavour and aroma.

Honey is almost 100% fermentable.

There was a good article in the last year in BYO, which may be available on line.

Au contraire to the APA allegation, pol!

I've found that an APA with orange blossom honey comes out well if U ferment cool with a Wit yeast. I use Dr Chris's Wit II yeast. It's a wheat APA, I suppose.

Found a recipe on the web and adapted it.

No, I'm not a looney. :p The beer came out quite well. You can taste a complex beer with wheat, malt, aroma and flavour hop (from memory), honey, orange, and a cascade finish.

Been meaning to do this again soon, actually. Quite simple too, as it's an extract recipe. Only the finest Muntons DME here ATM. Have used Bintani previously. :beerbang:

Sorry, I do go on....

BTW, Barls...if your Oz is in Sydney, you should turn up to the Paddy's tasting event on Feb 26.

Seth out :super:

PS...big up yourself to dane, to borrow a phrase from Ali G.
Getting used to the new format quickly.

Got to be careful about what type of honey you plan on using in your brew.
Clover honey is ideal for brewing, as it has no harsh eucy flavors that you get in yellow box Etc. Some apiarists now do a lavender honey, but don't know if I'd like a lavender tasting beer :blink: :huh: :blink:
Normell

Weizguy said:
BTW, Barls...if your Oz is in Sydney, you should turn up to the Paddy's tasting event on Feb 26.

Seth out :super:
[post="45941"][/post]​
where abouts in sydney are we talking about seth can i have some more info on this tasting?

Barls,

It's at Paddy's @ the Flemington Markets, Parramatta Road.

Under this topic here

thanks mate i wasnt sure if it was or not. i might get there

Two times I made honey pilsner. It is very good beer for men that like to eat hard cheese with beer.
22 L of 12.5%:

4.5 kg of Pilsner(!) or Pale Malt
0.5 kg of barley(optional)
400 g of honey

Magnum 14.5% -- 10 g
SAAZ 2.9% -- 30 g

52-54 C -- 30 min
65-67 C -- 45 min
72-74 C -- 40 min

Boiling:15 min without hops,
Magnum 10 g 60 min
SAAZ 20 g 30 min
Honey 400 g 30 min
SAAZ 10 g 5 min

Nottinghem Yeast 11 g

Primery--2-4 days, secondary 3 days, carbonization by 200 g of honey, bottling and 4-5 weeks storoging in the dark place(23-25 C)

Latest posts

Back