Honey Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barls

causer of chaos and mayhem
Reaction score
ok after all my questions and talk of how i wanted to do a honey beer, ive made one now just put it together from a coopers lager extract, 500g of body brew and 500g of yellowbox honey. it ended up with a gravity of 1040 after it was mixed up. i was going to use orange blossum honey but had problems finding some so i went with what i had. ill let you all now how it turns out.

barls

What flavours does the yellowbox honey give? An orange tasting honey would be nice in a belgian wit - NRB, you willing to give it a go?

Cheers
Pedro

its not a strong honey but its not quite mild ether ether way its ether going to be great or average. only time will tell

Maybe one day Pedro... I'll see how my "standard" Wit comes out first.

The only thing I know is to avoid with honeys from bees that come in contact with eucalypts.

Rubbish! A batch of beer does not hang around long enough to get a strong eucalyptus aroma or flavor.

If you use fresh bulk honey I doubt even a mead would.

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
Rubbish! A batch of beer does not hang around long enough to get a strong eucalyptus aroma or flavor.

If you use fresh bulk honey I doubt even a mead would.

Jovial Monk
[post="53321"][/post]​

So JM buy that statement I'd say you haven't tried a eucy honey beer then

Normell

My tastebuds agree. I could taste cheap eucy honey under a load of Cascade in an American IPA. I think I still have some that were not consumed. It hasn't mellowed much after about 3 years.

Seth

i have a honey lager on the go at the moment as well. Ill see how it turns out, the last one i did was very nice, but also very sweet too, so you couldnt drink too many in a row

what honey did you use kman

Did a Coopers blonde with 375g honey and 375 g raspberry jam. Remember me Jovial Monk from about 7 weeks ago ? Used some of your Brew enhancer too. The honey on the nose is quite evident after 3 weeks in the bottle. Can't taste the jam. Bitter without being over bitter on the palate. All in all a very succesful first brew. Did a Gold Rush Pale Rider Wheat beer - same honey no jam - honey on the nose with nice bitterness on the palate. Have a feeling the honey will fade as bottles mature ?

Barls,

not sure where in Sydney you are but the big health food store on Glebe Point Rd in Glebe has Orange Blossum Honey. I think its a GNC now...

They have about 8 or 10 different types of honey all in big drums that they just tap off how much you want

From memory I think it's about $13 per kilo (that was beginning of this year)

Rich

thanks for that mate im over near crows nest. cool thats not too far a drive so i might have a look

Yes I have used eucalyptus honey, blue gum, in both beer and mead.

No eucalyptus. Buy bulk honey from healthfood shop or wholefoods store

Jam has a lot of sugar compared to the fruit, check the labels!

JM

Plan on putting 500g of Orange Blossom honey in a ESB fresh lager this weekend, good idea or not

Give me your thoughts

Thanks Guys & Girls

Normell

Yes Normell you are spot on mate. Try 500 this batch, then if you want go more next batch, beware of the hangovers.

do it mate it should come out nice i think

I obviously stuffed my honey thoughts up, tapped the keg for my AG honey wheat this afternoon and was shocking. The keg is now hopefully providing some nutrients for the microbes in my lawn after I tipped it out :(

If using honey again, I think after diluting to the wort OG I might just add to secondary to try and flavour somehow. I added to the boil with 10min to go and fermentation was very sluggish (4 weeks - even with WLP300 :huh: ) so add some yeast nutrient. It ended up fermenting out to leave the beer at 7.5% but I would have been munching through the Nurofen at breakfast after a couple of those.

Good luck.

So Guys, do I put the honey in primary, or wait till I rack to secondary

Normell

Back