Honey Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
normell said:
So Guys, do I put the honey in primary, or wait till I rack to secondary

Normell
[post="53549"][/post]​

Hi Guys

I found this forum yesterday and as it so happens I've just brewed a couple of honey beers with great success.

The trick to getting a good honey character is to use a dark, strongly flavoured honey (I used white box and ironbark ) and add it to the kettle in the last minute of the boil - just enough to pasturise it but not enough to cook out the flavour. If you don't care about pasturisation you can add it to the primary. The honey character can be a bit unbalanced (either almost absent or quite harsh depending on the honey used and the whim of the gods at the time) when the beer is new but after 5 or so weeks in the bottle it will age in nicely.

My last Braggot (half malt, half honey) is about 6 weeks old now and is tasting very nice indeed.

still in the secondary will put it in the cube on saturday then cc it for about a month
nice taste as well should mellow out the harshness over time

now in the cube in my little fridge last reading i took was 1008. its pretty clear as well

kman said:
i have a honey lager on the go at the moment as well. Ill see how it turns out, the last one i did was very nice, but also very sweet too, so you couldnt drink too many in a row
[post="53379"][/post]​

Hi Kman
Tell me, that sweet beer you made what recipe did you use?. I'm keen to make something sweet as I was up in mildura in January and the "Brewery" there makes a lovely honey wheat beer which you can't buy anywhere else. It was quite sweet and I haven't found anything similar.

bottled it today after a month its got a nice taste with a slight harshness to it that should disappear in time ill let you all know how it is after a month or so

just opened the first bottle and its nice the harshness is mellowing and will be really nice by summer

Latest posts

Back