Honey In Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefman

Reaction score
I keep bees and have quite a bit of honey this year.

Has any one tried to use Honey as an adjuct how much would you use and when ? :D

chiefman said:
I keep bees and have quite a bit of honey this year.

Has any one tried to use Honey as an adjuct how much would you use and when ? :D
[post="46441"][/post]​

If you are brewing an all grain beer you could use about 17 - 20 % added 30 seconds before flame out. This will give a very good honey flavour and aroma.

I'm not a kit brewer but try half a kilo and that mixed with say a blonde should work well. Add your sugar to bring the beer up to the gravity you require.

Steve

I'm not a kit brewer but try half a kilo and that mixed with say a blonde should work well. Add your sugar to bring the beer up to the gravity you require.

How would the gravity play in a kit? Would the Final Gravity still need to be under 1006 ?

I think with .5 kg of honey in a kit beer, that you'd be looking at 1.009 or so.

Ill have to try this Stuff first before i brew my next batch :p

Beez Neez

Ill let you know how i go.

the only kit beer I really remember from my kit days (1999) was Morgans Blue Mountain Lager with a kilo of honey (blue gum, i think)

ferented reasonable cool, it was a nice clean beer with lovely honey notes. FG would have been 1006 or so.

Jovial Monk

I use honey quite often in beer. I agree about adding it at flameout or you'll lose the delicate aroma and flavor. Something else to try if you're going to secondary your brew is to add the honey to the secondary. I've had several mead makers tell me they do this with their beers to good effect. I've done it myself and noticed more honey flavor and aroma coming through in the finished beer.

If you're worried about sanitation, remember that some mead makers don't even heat their honey. You can always heat the honey with some distilled water to about 150F for 10 minutes or so, Pasteurizing it so to speak. Good Luck with it.

I have just finished consuming a 20 L batch of the Beez Neez clone that I knocked up.
I added the clover honey at the 10 minute mark, it had a blending effect on the beer.
That is it was there but it wasnt in your face as other brews I have made with the honey as a late addition.
I guess in short you could try adding it at 5mins or at flame out as suggested. But I feel you wouldnt get that "hint of honey" taste, which I prefer to the in your face version.

If any one would like the beez neez recipe just do a search on the forum.

Beez neez beer is quite nice, there is a little bar on the second story of a place I think on Elisabeth St Melbourne, forgot the name of the place, but they stock a wise range of beers not seen in your usual pubs.

rodderz said:
Beez neez beer is quite nice, there is a little bar on the second story of a place I think on Elisabeth St Melbourne, forgot the name of the place, but they stock a wise range of beers not seen in your usual pubs.

is it the place in swanston St opposite The Lounge? Nice place, nice beers.
Beez neez and a few more unusual brews (dogbolter for ex, plus their own brew) on tap at "three degrees", on the QV plaza. I didn't like their own beer (called, you guess, 3 degrees) that much, but they had like 5-6 speciality brew on tap, so I'll go back there.
Beez Neez also on tap at The Quarry, lygon St, east brunswick.

Back