Honey Beer A Cure For Hay Fever ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Why not. We already know it is a cure for just about everything else :p

Doc

'Hay fever cure' ale is not to be sneezed at
By David Sapsted
(Filed: 05/08/2005)

A pub micro-brewery has come up with an ale that it claims can relieve the symptoms of hay fever.

The 1648 Brewing Company at the King's Head pub in the Sussex village of East Hoathly believes the secret to the beer's curative effect lies in the honey and traces of pollen in its Bee-Head summer ale.

David Seabrook, 39, the brewer, claims that regular drinkers can build up an immunity to airborne pollen and relieve their hay fever symptoms.

"We have just run out of Bee-Head because it has been so popular," he said yesterday. "But we hope to do another batch before the end of the summer. There are some commercial beers which use honey but, because we are a small craft brewery, we wanted to produce a real ale with local ingredients.

"It is not sweet; there is just an aroma, a hint of honey. It's a holistic approach to hay fever to alleviate the symptoms and it does seem to work. I don't suffer myself but a regular who does really swears by it. He denied that it was just an excuse to drink more."

Dan Bardsley, 42, a hay fever sufferer, has been won over. "I have been told that honey from local bees can help but I don't really like it on its own. But put it in a beer - now you're talking. I really think it is making things easier."

The brewery has produced 48 casks of Bee-Head this summer and is down to its last barrel. Next year it plans to double production.

Meanwhile, the 15th century Lion pub in Buckden, Cambs, finally bowed to public pressure yesterday and began selling crisps for the first time. Successive landlords had refused to sell crisps because of the mess they made on the floor.

sudofed and a whisky cures my hayfever symptoms

Or was that claratyne? I forget.

Have been told from a couple of sources something similar. If you suffer from allergies due to pollens and or dust, get a hive of bees set up on your place, collect the honey, then eat some of this honey every day.

I do not know how valid this is, but fresh honey tastes totally different to that blended stuff they sell in the supermarket.

The blended stuff is all pasteurised, too.

Back