Homemaker Chest Freezer Suddenly Not Working

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NRB

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Long time no visit! Uni life has driven me away from the hobby for a couple of years, but with less than a year to go I will hopefully be back into it again in the not too distant future...

I have a problem that needs some attention though. My keg chest freezer (no collar, just pluto guns inside) has been running at 1C for a couple of years, but I noticed a couple of days ago that it was sitting at 7C. The light was on but I couldn't hear as much sound as I usually would when it was running. I noticed a small section at the top of the back wall on the RHS just below the opening (about10cm wide by 4cm tall) had ice buildup.

So I turned it off and left it overnight and temp of kegs increased to 9C. I turned it on again this morning and the temperature hasn't dropped, although a small section of the freezer wall coinciding with the previous iced area developed frost. There are no gurgling sounds, and I just noticed a very feint hammering sound coming from the wall. I've shut it down again.

What do you think is wrong and what should I do?!

Cheers,
Nick

Hi Guys,

Long time no visit! Uni life has driven me away from the hobby for a couple of years, but with less than a year to go I will hopefully be back into it again in the not too distant future...

I have a problem that needs some attention though. My keg chest freezer (no collar, just pluto guns inside) has been running at 1C for a couple of years, but I noticed a couple of days ago that it was sitting at 7C. The light was on but I couldn't hear as much sound as I usually would when it was running. I noticed a small section at the top of the back wall on the RHS just below the opening (about10cm wide by 4cm tall) had ice buildup.

So I turned it off and left it overnight and temp of kegs increased to 9C. I turned it on again this morning and the temperature hasn't dropped, although a small section of the freezer wall coinciding with the previous iced area developed frost. There are no gurgling sounds, and I just noticed a very feint hammering sound coming from the wall. I've shut it down again.

What do you think is wrong and what should I do?!

Cheers,
Nick
[/quote

nick sounds like its out of gas, or very low on gas.
they usually can keep a bit of temp in them with low gas but it will gradually get warmer.

we have this problem with the chest freezers in our butcher shop at times.
could be thermostat but sounds like low gas.
probably cheaper to buy a second hand one cheap or buy a new one, you can pick up a no name brand pretty cheap these days, they usually use brand name compressors but with their own cabinets /badges etc.

fergi

Latest posts

Back