Homemade Stout Bread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_guy

Reaction score
Baked a loaf of bread - replaced water with a pint of my oatmeal stout
Really happy with result
Will post pic soon - why can't I post pics with an iPad

I often bake a soda bread using stout. 3 mins to prepare 15-20 mins to bake

New_guy said:
Baked a loaf of bread - replaced water with a pint of my oatmeal stout
Really happy with result
Will post pic soon - why can't I post pics with an iPad
Sounds good...might give it a try

OT slightly... You should be able to post pics
image.jpg

Hit " more reply options" in the lower rh corner of the post window and select a file from your camera roll or take a photo and then click "add to post" on rhside of screen next to photo file.

Cheers

I have done heaps of bread with beer. A stubby is the perfect amount for bread machine mix.

Thanks Dicko for the heads up!

It's from Jamie Oliver's original book "The Naked Chef"

image.jpg

500gm bread makers flour
1stubby of beer ( 375ml)
Yeast
1tbl spoon salt
1tbl spoon oil.

Mix, nead and proof rise
bake at 180*c until loaf sounds hollow when tapped with a spoon.

You may need extra flour in case the dough is to wet

Easy (to make and to remember) soda/beer bread

Nearly 20 years ago I spent a year driving through Africa and my mates and I would make this at least every second night. Great when camping because it is very quick to make and stays moist a long time, it hard to ruin by overcooking - the crust just gets thicker but doesn't dry out the inside.
Any beer will do, even soft drinks. When our beer supply was low, we often made it with Fanta or Coke - surprisingly good!
Guinness was every where in Africa (the largest Guiness brewery is in Nigeria) and was what we used most and has become my favourite.

3 cups self raising flour
3 tablespoons caster sugar or two of table sugar
330 ml Beer (not chilled)

Mix flour and sugar in a bowl, add beer. Mix with a wooden spoon until it starts to come together then use your hands. It is a sticky mixture, dont over work it, just a few minutes will do. put it in a loaf pan (greased) or be more rustic and loosely pull it into a round loaf and place on grease proof paper on a cookie sheet and bake 180-200c for 45 - 60 mins.

The bread can be pimped out with chilli, chesse, sundried tomatoes, apple, pear etc.... just mix in with your hands

doesnt the beer make the bread too bitter ?

donburke said:
doesnt the beer make the bread too bitter ?
Leave the bread for another week or so and the bitterness will subside. ;)

wbosher said:
Leave the bread for another week or so and the bitterness will subside. ;)
lager it ? :)

when i use beer in cooking i do notice the bitterness, and its possible to overdo it, whilst i am a seasoned beer drinker, the bitterness may not bother me but others may not enjoy it, thats why i was asking

Sometimes I use the trub out of the fermenter for yeast.
mix up a cup or 2 of trub with some flour sugar and a splash of olive oil. make the mix sloppy.
cover this with glad wrap and leave it for a day or so.
after it has matured add more flour salt and liquid to get a moist firm dough.
chuck it in the tins and let it rise.
bake at 220c until crust is formed then lower heat to 180c until it makes a hollow sound when tapped.

Anyone else use brewers yeast to make bread? Any good results?

Bread not butter at all - just a "background" malty taste that works well with the bread

Growing a lactic culture at the moment and can't wait to use some of it for a sourdough.

If I plan on continuing to grow it, does anyone know the best medium to keep feeding it, eg: flour, malt, sugar or a blend of all three?

Made some bread with a bit of grain left over from my last batch. Hands down the best bread ever! Even the kids love it. Sweet and malty, not too stodgy and not bitter at all.

Next time I will freeze the rest of the grain for future use instead of adding it to the compost.

Back