Homemade Smoked Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barls

causer of chaos and mayhem
Reaction score
hey all just thought id share these pics.
ive spent most of the day smoking grain in my little stove smoker. the whole house smells wonderful. its kinda got that smokey/ dark fruit cake smell.

before
11042010128.jpg

after
11042010127.jpg

and the comparison shot.
11042010125.jpg

the new version of my stove top smoker works great. holds a temp better.
the old one had the bottom fall out of it.
here is a pic of the old one
13012010099.jpg

can anyone say smoked schwartzbier???

can anyone say smoked schwartzbier???

Yep.............Rauchbier :lol:

After building my UD Smoker this is on the to do list for me, have to get some Beechwood chips.

Cheers,

Screwy

im currently smoking with a mix of apple wood, rum soaked sawdust and port soaked hickory. its damn good.

Care to share your homemade smoker setups anyone?

Barls,
Would your smoker work on an electric stove? Yes I know that you have more control over temps with gas.
Those pics of yours look great BTW. :beer:

T

Webbers are great smokers - I do chickens, fish and ribs on mine all the time.

Now I'm thinking malt - thanks :) .

Who's got a good smoked malt recipe? What's a Rauchbier? Smokebeer?

You've not tried a rauchbier Nick?

This is the one you want to start with. http://www.schlenkerla.de/indexe.html

Made a smoked porter today but the smoked malt was bought. A weber was my first AG burner so maybe there's cause to crack it out again. I love smoked meats, smoked whisky and smoked beer so I might have a shot.

heres my smoked schwartz
Smoked Schwarz

Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines
4C-Dark Lager-Schwarzbier

Minimum OG: 1.046 SG Maximum OG: 1.052 SG
Minimum FG: 1.010 SG Maximum FG: 1.016 SG
Minimum IBU: 22 IBU Maximum IBU: 32 IBU
Minimum Color: 17.0 SRM Maximum Color: 30.0 SRM

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 27.00 l Wort Volume After Boil: 20.00 l
Volume Transferred: 20.00 l Water Added To Fermenter: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 20.00 l Volume Of Finished Beer: 19.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.036 SG Expected OG: 1.048 SG
Expected FG: 1.013 SG Apparent Attenuation: 71.9 %
Expected ABV: 4.6 % Expected ABW: 3.6 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 28.9 IBU Expected Color (using Morey): 22.4 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 0.60 Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 11 degC

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
German Pilsner Malt 2.000 kg 51.8 % 1.1 In Mash/Steeped
German Munich Malt 0.882 kg 22.9 % 2.0 In Mash/Steeped
German Smoked Malt 0.700 kg 18.1 % 0.7 In Mash/Steeped
Weyermann Carafa Special II 0.278 kg 7.2 % 48.1 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
German Northern Brewer 8.0 % 25 g 28.9 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When

Yeast
White Labs WLP838-Southern German Lager

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: Single Step Infusion (66C/151F)

Step Type Temperature Duration
Rest at 66 degC 60
also works well with the canadian belgian yeast (like a raftsman)

i couldnt see why my set up wouldnt work on electric. havent tried it though.

Sorry for the derail but I can't find the info anywhere and now seems like a good time to ask.

What malts/percentages would I be looking at using in a rauchbier if I wanted to chase the prominent cured meatiness of Schlenkerla's Urbock? I know they use beechwood for smoking their malt but I've had beers with beechwood smoked malt that has none of the bacon found in this beer.

Care to share your homemade smoker setups anyone?

Barls,
Would your smoker work on an electric stove? Yes I know that you have more control over temps with gas.
Those pics of yours look great BTW. :beer:

T

UDS1_Small.jpg

Here's mine Pete, $15 drum, free add on Freecycle provided the weber BBQ for the racks and lid, some scrap steel laying around the shed, $16 for 4 Casters from Bunnings, some old Gal fittings (turned the welder current right down....splatter, splatter) welded in and $19 for a ball valve, potbelly black paint, nuts and bolts and and handles from the shed. Thermometer was from eBay think about $15.00 delivered, and $5 for some scrap weldmesh for the burner basket. There must have been something else I had to buy can't remember, but for $70.00 a bloody fantastic thing for a cook up. Cooks/smokes heaps at a time, then freeze/vacuum seal for later. Uses about a third of a $10 bag of heat beads for a 12 hr burn. For a family lunch last Sun used a handfull of Manuka chips and a half handfull of hickory chips, did 2 chooks, beef ribs, two turkey thighs and some green king prawns (yumm smoked prawns). Thing was only about 1/2 full lots more room. I shut it down after three hrs when everything was done, used probably no more than 1Kg of beads, plenty left for next time.

Link to build details: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost...mp;postcount=86
Good project for you, piece a piss for an old boiley Pete.

Screwy

View attachment 37118

Here's mine Pete, $15 drum, free add on Freecycle provided the weber BBQ for the racks and lid, some scrap steel laying around the shed, $16 for 4 Casters from Bunnings, some old Gal fittings (turned the welder current right down....splatter, splatter) welded in and $19 for a ball valve, potbelly black paint, nuts and bolts and and handles from the shed. Thermometer was from eBay think about $15.00 delivered, and $5 for some scrap weldmesh for the burner basket. There must have been something else I had to buy can't remember, but for $70.00 a bloody fantastic thing for a cook up. Cooks/smokes heaps at a time, then freeze/vacuum seal for later. Uses about a third of a $10 bag of heat beads for a 12 hr burn. For a family lunch last Sun did 2 chooks, beef ribs, two turkey thighs and some green king prawns (yumm smoked prawns). Thing was only about 1/2 full lots more room. I shut it down after three hrs when everything was done and used probably no more than 1Kg of beads, plenty left for next time.

Link to build details: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost...mp;postcount=86
Good project for you, piece a piss for an old boiley Pete.

Screwy

looks good screwy, love the bar/drinking area in the background, got any pics of the inside ?

Dave

Sorry for the derail but I can't find the info anywhere and now seems like a good time to ask.

What malts/percentages would I be looking at using in a rauchbier if I wanted to chase the prominent cured meatiness of Schlenkerla's Urbock? I know they use beechwood for smoking their malt but I've had beers with beechwood smoked malt that has none of the bacon found in this beer.
22A. Classic Rauchbier

Aroma: Blend of smoke and malt, with a varying balance and intensity. The beechwood smoke character can range from subtle to fairly strong, and can seem smoky, bacon-like, woody, or rarely almost greasy. The malt character can be low to moderate, and be somewhat sweet, toasty, or malty. The malt and smoke components are often inversely proportional (i.e., when smoke increases, malt decreases, and vice versa). Hop aroma may be very low to none. Clean, lager character with no fruity esters, diacetyl or DMS.

Appearance: This should be a very clear beer, with a large, creamy, rich, tan- to cream-colored head. Medium amber/light copper to dark brown color.

Flavor: Generally follows the aroma profile, with a blend of smoke and malt in varying balance and intensity, yet always complementary. Mrzen-like qualities should be noticeable, particularly a malty, toasty richness, but the beechwood smoke flavor can be low to high. The palate can be somewhat malty and sweet, yet the finish can reflect both malt and smoke. Moderate, balanced, hop bitterness, with a medium-dry to dry finish (the smoke character enhances the dryness of the finish). Noble hop flavor moderate to none. Clean lager character with no fruity esters, diacetyl or DMS. Harsh, bitter, burnt, charred, rubbery, sulfury or phenolic smoky characteristics are inappropriate.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Medium to medium-high carbonation. Smooth lager character. Significant astringent, phenolic harshness is inappropriate.

Overall Impression: Mrzen/Oktoberfest-style (see 3B) beer with a sweet, smoky aroma and flavor and a somewhat darker color.

Comments: The intensity of smoke character can vary widely; not all examples are highly smoked. Allow for variation in the style when judging. Other examples of smoked beers are available in Germany, such as the Bocks, Hefe-Weizen, Dunkel, Schwarz, and Helles-like beers, including examples such as Spezial Lager. Brewers entering these styles should use Other Smoked Beer (22B) as the entry category.

History: A historical specialty of the city of Bamberg, in the Franconian region of Bavaria in Germany. Beechwood-smoked malt is used to make a Mrzen-style amber lager. The smoke character of the malt varies by maltster; some breweries produce their own smoked malt (rauchmalz).

Ingredients: German Rauchmalz (beechwood-smoked Vienna-type malt) typically makes up 20-100% of the grain bill, with the remainder being German malts typically used in a Mrzen. Some breweries adjust the color slightly with a bit of roasted malt. German lager yeast. German or Czech hops.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.050 1.057
IBUs: 20 30 FG: 1.012 1.016
SRM: 12 22 ABV: 4.8 6%
from the bjcp in red

Thanks, Barls. The part I still can't quite get my head around is how to push that meatiness. Would it just be a matter of using a higher proportion of smoked vienna or is that too obvious? Is also temp/yeast strain related (although I'm guessing there aren't bacon esters)?

looks good screwy, love the bar/drinking area in the background, got any pics of the inside ?

Dave

Dave, click on the link to the build, exactly as per the pics there. I browsed the US BBQ site and took a hint from a post, made up a smaller basket to put inside the large one for a short cook. The large basket takes nearly a full bag of beads, only uses about 1Kg or so for a 3 hr burn, shut down the air intakes when finished, remove the basket and give a shake to remove the ash and you are left with the unburnt beads for next firing. Beads need to be compacted for a good burn so I made up the smaller basket so the whole bag of beads is not required to fill it. If doing a long slow cook, something like an overnight slow cook you would need slightly more beads, the vents/ball valve are closed up/adjusted to get the required cooking temp.

Screwy

So I want to make a dark lager with noble hops, and with at least 20% of the malt smoked? How's that sound?

I smoked up some pilsner malt a lot of years ago. And hot damn... this thread has me all keen to do it again.

I soaked the malt in water for half an hour of so and then smiked it in my home made "structure" over ironbark.

I made a beer with the malt i named Ironbark ale and it tasted like eating bacon and beef jerky in a bushfire. Sent it off to competition and it scared the hell out of some jusges. I got some really freaked out comments :)

here are some pics. I still have the sheet of stainless mesh i used to hold the malt. Im going to do it again.

cheers

initial_fire.JPG

start_of_smoking.JPG

smoking_grain.JPG

the_smoke_house.JPG

final_comparison.JPG

I smoked up some pilsner malt a lot of years ago. And hot damn... this thread has me all keen to do it again.

I soaked the malt in water for half an hour of so and then smiked it in my home made "structure" over ironbark.

I made a beer with the malt i named Ironbark ale and it tasted like eating bacon and beef jerky in a bushfire. Sent it off to competition and it scared the hell out of some jusges. I got some really freaked out comments :)

here are some pics. I still have the sheet of stainless mesh i used to hold the malt. Im going to do it again.

cheers

Was going to use Pils malt too Tony. But seem to remember that Schlenkerla smoke Vienna malt, just so happens I have some............hmmm. Smoked beer this winter.

Screwy

damn that looks good mate you using heat beads at the bottom or just building the fire the letting die down to coal then covering

Yeha i just used heat beads.

I got Ironbark chunks and soaked them in water for a couple days. I grew up on a farm covered in ironbarks and its the smell i remember most as a kid. Ironbark smoke!

cheers

smoking_chips.JPG

i remember iron wood smoke, any chance i can get a couple of those chunks off you at the pub crawl if your going.

Latest posts

Back