Homemade keg system thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vindaloo

Bouncer
Reaction score
As in this thread here (clicky clicky, I was wondering if people have seen/made alternative kegging systems. $400 is waaaay too much for me, and I don't mind going ghetto (as some of you may already realise :D ). The article at the bottom of the above thread was a good start - except it wasn't very explanatory.

What's the theory behind a kegging system anyway?

Vinds.

Kegging Systems

I have sourced twin tap keg systems for under $450.00.

I think if u go cheap...u will regret it later.....Check out my post in the trading post.

Once you get into kegging...u wonder why you never did it sooner....

Do keg systems tend to keep their resale value?

From the current NSW Trading Post

Beer kegs 20L x 8, $80 each. co2 regulator x 3, $80 each. Beer taps, x 3, $60 each. will separate ROOTY HILL 02-9625 6721

Don't know the guy but the price on the 20 litre kegs seems pretty good as they are getting hard to get.

Beers,
Doc

Keg Systems

Craig Deacon from Kegs on australia - where i have bought my kegs from - sells 18 ltr kegs reconditioned for $68.00 ea. Better than paying $80.00 ea through the trading post, or $100.00 at some HBS.

New dual gauge regulator is $85.00 from grumpys in adelaide.
I can get reconditioned Annadale Pulldown taps plus fridge attachment for $60.00.

Keg sysytems do keep a very good second hand value.....

E-mail me if you want any contact details....

GMK said:
Keg Systems

Craig Deacon from Kegs on australia - where i have bought my kegs from - sells 18 ltr kegs reconditioned for $68.00 ea. Better than paying $80.00 ea through the trading post, or $100.00 at some HBS.

New dual gauge regulator is $85.00 from grumpys in adelaide.
I can get reconditioned Annadale Pulldown taps plus fridge attachment for $60.00.

Keg sysytems do keep a very good second hand value.....

E-mail me if you want any contact details....
Kegs on australia? Do they have a Perth branch? :)

I'll give Grumpys a call, as $85 for a regulator is a bargain. They range in price from $150-180 new here in Perth.

All I need is fridge, keg, regulator, gun/tap, disconnects, hoses and a co2 cylinder right?

Oh and beer ;)...

edit - just bought a regulator from grumpys :)

Kook.

Glad to see you bought the regulator....
Did you spend over $100.00 to get free freight.

When we bought ours, we also purchased a kilo of Pride Of Ringwood Hops for $25.00 to get free freight.

I have also found grumpys the best price for Bulk Liquid Malt...
it comes from Coopers Brewery and is $85.00 for 28kg....we bought Light Malt....also purchased a Beamish Kit and a Theakstons Old Peculiar Kit to free freight to Canberra with the bulk malt.

Let me know if you want any reconditioned Pull down Taps.....

I will give Craig Deacon's email address...
[email protected] let him know that Ken from Canberra put you onto him.

Thanks for letting me know...

GMK said:
Kook.

Glad to see you bought the regulator....
Did you spend over $100.00 to get free freight.

When we bought ours, we also purchased a kilo of Pride Of Ringwood Hops for $25.00 to get free freight.

I have also found grumpys the best price for Bulk Liquid Malt...
it comes from Coopers Brewery and is $85.00 for 28kg....we bought Light Malt....also purchased a Beamish Kit and a Theakstons Old Peculiar Kit to free freight to Canberra with the bulk malt.

Let me know if you want any reconditioned Pull down Taps.....

I will give Craig Deacon's email address...
[email protected] let him know that Ken from Canberra put you onto him.

Thanks for letting me know...
Doh!!

I hadnt bought over $100 worth. I called Grumpys and David? was very helpful, told me just to email through the changes to the order. Bought a couple packs of Wyeast to bring me over $100.

I'm not sure about the taps yet, It all depends on the fridge situation (havent got one yet). I may have to go down the beer gun path.

I'll email Craig, thanks for the help Ken.

The beer gun path.....

It is approx $70.00 for a beer gun...u will then have to open the fridge door every time you want to pour your beer. You will soon get sick and tired of this......every one i know who went down this road first wishes they had gone the other way.

Similarly, everyone i have given pulldown taps to - currently 18 - have sworn that they are much better than the twist taps and wished they had got pull down taps in the first place.

Only trying to help.....

I hope you said Hi to David for me.......

When you talk/order from Craig, if you order an extra T piece ( his are food grade plastic $5.00 ea - Blackwoods sell brass 1/4 inch T pieces for just under $7.00 - gives a better seal connection than the 6mm line supplied by Craig) and an extra liquid disconnect, you will then be able to burp, rock and gas your beer outside the fridge.

It costs an extra $25.00 for this ( $15.00 for Disconnect, $5.00 for T piece $5.00 for extra 3m of 6mm gas line). we did this and i felt is was worth it.

Use a liquid disconnect because when you burp the keg, the CO2 will be filling the keg from the bottom tube and makes the gas bubble through the beer - much better burping and CO2 obsorbtion into the beer this way....

I actually bought a full system from the guy in the trading post (Ray). Included *everything* including a fridge, tap, kegs, connects and gas cylinder for $500. Even delivered and installed it for me.

He sells a lot of these systems and really knows his stuff, as well as being a nice guy to have a beer with when you drop in.

When I priced the parts at brewing shops I worked out that I was getting the fridge for next to nix and didn't have to worry about building it myself. Win win to my way of thinking.

tony

Back