Homebrewer Issue 19

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cam89brewer

Reaction score
I generally get this magazine when I can and was looking through the recipe's and Scott Vincent from Matilda Bay has an AG honey ale recipe in this issue.
The reason why I bring this up is that his mash schedule is :

1.1 kg Pale
1.1 kg Wheat
1.1 kg Honey
.01kg Roasted Barley

Mash in @ 50 for 10 mins
Raise to 65 for 10 mins
Raise to 72 for 10 mins
Raise to 77 for 5 mins

To me it seems like when ever I drop my mash time below 45 mins I generally lose Efficiency, has any one else had a mash regime anything like this and has it impacted on your efficiency and attenuation?

Cheers Cam

Keep in mind most of your conversion with happen in those first 20minutes.

But yes I try to mash a bit longer (75 - 90mins) if I am not pressed for time nowadays.

In that recipe, I would be tempted to increase your 65deg to 20mins, and 72 deg up to say 30min+

Last beer I brewed I achieved a higher efficiency with a 90min mash, but I was using Best Pils Malt which is a new grain for me.

And for the record. 1.1kg of honey in a single batch is an enormous amount. I did a blonde with a kilo of honey and the honey taste was WAY stronger than any commercial honey beer like Beez Neez etc.

Yeh I suppose the fact is that he would never give out a recipe that was even close to his own other wise everyone would be cloning it.... As for the mash regime if I cant generally allow even 45 mins for the mash I will put it off until I can, as I believe it makes a substantial difference in the general quality of the beer, head retention as well as helping with attenuation.

And for the record. 1.1kg of honey in a single batch is an enormous amount. I did a blonde with a kilo of honey and the honey taste was WAY stronger than any commercial honey beer like Beez Neez etc.
i disagree
beez neez isnt a honey beer imo. its pathetic. a kilo is ok if your wanting a proper honey beer (as a genreal rule).

however in your particular circumstance, looking at your particular grain bill, its pretty light on and a 1/3 of the fermentables comes from honey it might be a bit much if you dont like/want a solid honey flavour
in saying that, i'd be inclined to brew it

30% honey?

Yuk. That beer will be watery twang. Honey is like 95% fructose.

Latest posts

Back