Homebrewer In Nz For A Week

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acasta

Bro Member
Reaction score
What beer related opportunities can I do in Queenstown New Zealand during my week stay?
I'm thinking of ordering some cheap hops to where I'm staying, any ideas of some good sites/stores to order from? Any problems bringing them back into Melbourne (pellets)?

Bettys liquors
Arrowtown breing
Twisted hop
emersons bar,
wanaka brewery
do an post order from beerstorenz or reginal wines, get it sent to your hotle, take it back to aus

No problem at all with hop pellets, probably be able to bring in flowers as well since NZ is "clean and green" but don't quote me.
Mate brought me a few hundred grams of hoppy pellets and they just sail through customs if you declare them as "foodstuffs" and they are in the sealed printed packets.

The hop business is tied up by New Zealand Hops who package them up, so no real cheap deals US Style. However a 100g foil should set you back around $A5 so well worth stocking up on the main varieties. NZ Cascade is a cracker, I never use the US variety nowadays.

No problem at all with hop pellets, probably be able to bring in flowers as well since NZ is "clean and green" but don't quote me.
Mate brought me a few hundred grams of hoppy pellets and they just sail through customs if you declare them as "foodstuffs" and they are in the sealed printed packets.

The hop business is tied up by New Zealand Hops who package them up, so no real cheap deals US Style. However a 100g foil should set you back around $A5 so well worth stocking up on the main varieties. NZ Cascade is a cracker, I never use the US variety nowadays.

Any idea of stores/online stores that you got them from? I'm looking for something like our sponsors.

What beer related opportunities can I do in Queenstown New Zealand during my week stay?
I'm thinking of ordering some cheap hops to where I'm staying, any ideas of some good sites/stores to order from? Any problems bringing them back into Melbourne (pellets)?

wtf? Im off there tonight... when you going?

wtf? Im off there tonight... when you going?

Tomorrow morning! What are you doing? We're going snowboarding for a week.
I'm staying at Reavers Lodge, you?

Split some postage? :p

Found this btw:
http://www.brewerscoop.co.nz/beerProds.php...Z&menu=BEIN

Any suggestions on varieties to get?
NZ cascade
Motueka
Sticklebract
Nelson Sauvin

I also haven't seen these variates before, but sounds interesting.
Wai-iti
Rakau
Kohatu

Tomorrow morning! What are you doing? We're going snowboarding for a week.
I'm staying at Reavers Lodge, you?

Split some postage? :p

Found this btw:
http://www.brewerscoop.co.nz/beerProds.php...Z&menu=BEIN

Any suggestions on varieties to get?
NZ cascade
Motueka
Sticklebract
Nelson Sauvin

I also haven't seen these variates before, but sounds interesting.
Wai-iti
Rakau
Kohatu

I quite like Wai Iti as something a bit different and I have a Rakau just in the bottle so cant say..

Yep, boarding too, going to try and fit in 3 parks, Mt Hutt with SWMBO then both the Remarkables (undecided) and Treble cone I will probably be by myself..

Staying in Queenstown at the St Moritz or something like that but have a 4x4 for getting about.

Will PM my number

:lol: :blink: :beerbang:

Any idea of stores/online stores that you got them from? I'm looking for something like our sponsors.

I have no idea what shop he got them from, I'll see if I can find out.

Do yourself a favour mate, get yourself a Fergburger :icon_drool2:

I quite like Wai Iti as something a bit different and I have a Rakau just in the bottle so cant say..

Yep, boarding too, going to try and fit in 3 parks, Mt Hutt with SWMBO then both the Remarkables (undecided) and Treble cone I will probably be by myself..

Staying in Queenstown at the St Moritz or something like that but have a 4x4 for getting about.

Will PM my number

:lol: :blink: :beerbang:

Acasta and Iamozziyob !I'm also going to Queenstown, Arrowtown to be precise, but not 'til August though.5 days boarding and 5 days around the Dunedin area. If you find some 'must visit' pubs or 'must have' beers...please share the love,Thanks guys,Dan :icon_cheers:

Bizzare layout of comment blamed on Iphone !

Go to speights brewery tour in Dunedin. Try and make sure you get booked in for very last tour of day. We got let loose on their tour bar for quite some time at end of tour and walked out shit faced!

I'll be glued to this thread til August ! Can't wait !

I would say that you would have an easier time getting Wai-iti through craftbrewer as nowhere I use over here has any. Some pretty cheap hops to be snapped up with the aussie as strong as it is over there against our pitiful dollar. I think there is some limit though so you dont want to over do it too much as it would be a sad day if they take some off you.... If you want some awesome beers go thebeerstore.co.nz and look up all the hard to get beers you ever wanted to try (read HARD not pliny which is near impossible).

if you get time it maybe worthwhile watching the Mash Up episodes from around Queenstown:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NZCraftBeerTV

You need to scroll down a fair bit to find the earlier ones that take in Christchurch. I haven't watched them for a while but the Arrowtown Brewery episode well and truly stuck in my head...

Richard.

Brought back a kilo + pouches of commercially packed hops from quakechurch. No probs :) just declare them, make sure to say they are from nz, keep receipts just in case and you'd be right. Flowers rock. Or blossom or something :D

Currently enjoying an IPA with all cascade buttering and flavour and NS dry hop. My first ever IPA, I'm stoked.
Loads of drinking places down there. Loads. Frigging shitloads. When they ain't shaggin sheep....

Hey, hope you have a great time down in Queenstown.

Im up in the north island, but always order my Hops through the online store BrewShop They should have plenty of varieties to choose from.

I am pretty certain most hops available to the Homebrewing public come via NZ Hops Ltd.

You can also try...Liberty Brewing who have a small online store, but are more known for their excellent Hop fuelled beers such as C!tra and Alpha Dog.

Check out here for info on South Island, Christchurch area Brew Pubs etc.

Definitely get some NZ Cascade, Motueka (B Saaz) and Nelson Sauvin if you can...

Cheers!

Sniffed out a little HBS shop here in queenstown.. Not well cared for (as in no fridge) but i bought some anyway just to support the lady..

Its off the main drag down a little alley cleverly disguised as a tobbacco shop, opposite the pub on the wharf. (look for the tobacco shop sign)

Yob

Latest posts

Back