HomeBrew Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanta

Reaction score
Hi All! :)

Well just joined this group and glad to have the help of fellow brewers as Im rather new to this trade. I have done a few brews so far and most seem to end up with a rather odd hom brew taste with them. I cant really put my finger on it to describe it but if anyone has had this before and knows a way to best get rid of it, it would be greatly appriciated.

cheers

Do a search for kit twang and you'll find some answers. But out of interest what do you mean by odd taste?

Kits often to have that HB twang to them, but there are things you can do to minimise it (adding of different malt extracts, better yeast, specialty grains, hops etc).

Fermentation temperature also has a lot to do with final taste. If you are making beer with the kit yeast aim to keep it around 18-20 degrees and a lot of those "home brew" flavours will also start to go the way of the dodo.

Cleanliness and sanitisation also play a big part.

Welcome .

The taste you speak of is the Home brew twang. I used to cover it with some hops added to the brew. Then I went to extract which seems to do away with it. With kits (and I think this is what your talking about) the more you spend and the better the extras the better they are. But I was never able to really do away with it. So have moved on to AG now.

Cheers

Awesome thanks for that I will check out "Home Brew Twang"

The best way to get rid of it is to be sanitary, look after your yeast, and make beer from grain.

The difference between extract and all-grain is like the difference between tinned salmon and a fresh salmon fillet you cook how you like. It is a really simple process to learn and you can make great beer, better than most on the shelf. You can also do it totally on the cheap.

One thing I would add is some home brew shops mix there own brew booster mixes. I have found some must use low grade dry malt and it has a burnt flavour. You can pick it sometimes from a crystally look to the malt.

Cheers

Shanta said:

Well just joined this group and glad to have the help of fellow brewers as Im rather new to this trade. I have done a few brews so far and most seem to end up with a rather odd hom brew taste with them. I cant really put my finger on it to describe it but if anyone has had this before and knows a way to best get rid of it, it would be greatly appriciated.
Shanta, is it an up-front taste issue, or something lingering in the aftertaste of each mouthfull?

Its a taste that is very much up front from the first taste. I have really only been doing kit brews with adding an extra liquid malt extract and bringing it to a boil as a friend also mentioned this might kill off any of the fowl taste. I have dry hopped some aroma pellets into it about 4 days in and as I didnt have a hop bag I placed these within a stocking (new) but can only hope that this didnt alter the flavor also.

Shanta said:
Its a taste that is very much up front from the first taste. I have really only been doing kit brews with adding an extra liquid malt extract and bringing it to a boil as a friend also mentioned this might kill off any of the fowl taste. I have dry hopped some aroma pellets into it about 4 days in and as I didnt have a hop bag I placed these within a stocking (new) but can only hope that this didnt alter the flavor also.
Make sure you sanitise that stocking! Doesn't matter if it's new or grandma's hand me downs, it has to be cleaned and sanitised. Same goes for anything that touches the brew post boil.
The best thing I ever did to get rid of that taste was stop using the yeast that comes with the tin and use more expensive yeast. Generally US-05 or 04 for ales and S-23 for lagers. Now I'm using Saf -189 for lagers and it's better again. Many say if you splash out and get liquid yeast it's better again but a bit dearer. Some swear by dried yeast but I can't comment as I haven't tried liquids yet.

If you switch to all grain (brew in a bag is easy) your beer gets better again.

Shanta said:

cheers
Depends what exact "homebrew taste" you're detecting

Kit Twang
Mild Bacterial Infection/Wild Yeasts from poor sanitation
High Alcohols / Esters from poor fermentation temperature control
Esters from stressed yeast from poor pitching volume/viability
Cidery flavours from bad adjuncts
Fairy Floss flavours from incompletely fermented carbonation drops

etc

All or some of these flavours generally lump up to produce "Homebrew Taste"

In order of importance (in my opinion)

1) dont use white sugar in your brews :)
2) Sanitation
3) Temperature Control
4) Go all-grain or try a Fresh Wort Kit to discount Kit Twang
5) Good yeast pitching practises leads to good beer
6) Oxygenation with O2 to get complete attenuation/yeast health

Hi everyone here is fairly friendly most will invite you to there place to see how they brew.
I can't really comment on you "off" flavour it could be a number of things. Can I start with a few questions to help you get the answer you want.
1. What is your last recipe? Cans extract? Adding kitchen sugar? Using the yeast supplied with the kit?
2. If All grain brewing are you giving it a 60min boil uncovered?
3. Is your ferment temp controlled, just a little you don't need to go all out and get a fridge but a constant temp and the right temp will improve your beer a lot. I use a heat pad under the fermenter and its in the cellar which is usually 18-20

If your new to home brew do your self a favour and read How To Brew by Palmer it will amaze you just how much better your bed can be with very little extra effort. The book it online or get it from bold depository.

Can you describe your ingredients and process, including bottling/kegging and conditioning please Shanta?

I used Coopers Brew Master IPA, 1kg of LME, 3 hop bags of Cascade.

I brought the IPA kit and LME to a boil and added 2 steeped hop bags to the mix after steeping them in boiled water for 20mins.
On the 4th day I dry hopped the final bag.

I pitched the rehydrated yeast at 22 degrees and the lowest the temp got to through out fermentation was 16 degrees

I started drinking the brew 3 weeks after bottling.

OK sounds a reasonable recipe.
The process is slightly confusing. I would just add half the hops to the IPA kit and LME once its hit the boil and the other half when you turn off the gas/electricity and dry hop as you have.
The kit yeast can be a bit of a source of twang, as mentioned earlier US05 is a good general pourpose yeast. It should be fresher in the fridge from the home brew shop than the packet on top of the cans.
One more thing, did you put the hops "tea" into the boil or just the hops?

Awesome thanks for your advice! The Hop tea bag I steeped both bags in boiled water for 20min and added the steeped water to the brew.

Probably not the cause of the flavor you've noted but what is the thinking behind boiling the kit and how long did you boil it for?

Possibly advice from Americans. They sure do love boiling things.

I was told by a friend that boiling the kits cool help rid it of that home brew taste but could boiling it also ruin the kit extract?

I think I'm gonna let someone else do this.

Hopefully you'll find the entertainment you desire.

Back