Homebrew - Norfolk Island Style

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappo1970

Piss off or Buy Me A Beer
Reaction score
The Inlaws just got back from Norfolk Island and they bought me a cook book on Norfolk Is fair. Anyway tucked in the middle of the book is a recipe to make homebrew beer. I'll let you judge but it sounds like pretty good rugged stuff.

2lbs of malt
3lbs of brown sugar
1/4lbs of hops (variety not specified)
1 Bottle of beer or yeast

Instructions

Put hops in bag in cold water. (A kerosene tin 1/2 to 3/4 full). Bring to boil and boil and boil for 1 1/2 hours. Put in sugar and stir. Fill tin with cold water and stir well. Put in malt when liquid has cooled to blood heat and stir very well, then add beer or yeast and stir again. Skim till no further fermentation, bottle and put small saltspoon of sugar in each bottle. Then cap down.

Sounds delightful!

Here is a scan of said book and recipe.

View attachment IMG_0001.pdf

Make this as your next case swap beer Chappo :p

Rook

Hi Hi Pie has always been the most terrifying contribution from Norfolk cuisine.

I wonder if you should bother to wash out the Kero can before you use it?

KnK just got appealing............

I love the description of "blood heat", are they lacking in thermometers over there?

KnK just got appealing............

I love the description of "blood heat", are they lacking in thermometers over there?

"Can't tell if it quite at pitching temp, would you mind if I just gave your juggler vein a little nick to compare the temperature" :lol:

Screwy

You'll note the recipe is in Imperial measurements and is probably an old recipe. In bad weather the supply ships can sometimes have to stand off for weeks. When your desparite for a drink and it looks like you might have to go without for some time anything will make do.

HD

HD you are completely spot on.

Bring to boil and boil and boil for 1 1/2 hours.

I was glad to see or forefathers also believed in the virtues of the 90min boil.

Skim till no further fermentation...

I must admit this bit completely intrigues me. Obviously open fermentation, well at a guess? Any thoughts?

Chap Chap

http://www.murphyandson.co.uk/BrewingArtic...tManagement.htm

"C) Time of Harvesting (Skimming)

The aim when skimming is to remove the yeast head at a point in the fermentation where there is still sufficient activity to keep the head on the surface and to leave just sufficient yeast in suspension to complete the fermentation and form a thin but stable cover over the surface of the beer for protection. If the yeast is allowed to remain on the surface of the beer until the end of fermentation a number of things may occur.

1) It is possible that autolysis may occur due to overheating from ambient temperatures. This will result in a decrease in yeast cell viability, which could cause, slow, problematic subsequent fermentations.
2) In addition if the yeast head is allowed to remain too long on the beer it may result in yeast off flavours, due to the products of autolysis.
3) The longer the yeast head is kept at ambient temperatures, exposed to air, the greater the possibility of aerial infection.".

Sounds like the typical brew in Maryborough in the 1970s except they were really sophisticated and used Tandaco yeast.

Hmmn.... just wondering if that needs to be a food grade kerosine tin. :lol: :ph34r: Our early settlers used to make all manner of funiture with them.

Gavo.

The C.W.A cook book is full of beer recipes like that

Back