Homebrew Laws

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc59

Reaction score
Link to a nice article I found.

22L per week.

That was the info I was after as I'm sure I read something about it ages ago but forgot what the actual allowable volume was.

Does anyone know of any other laws in regard to homebrewing. Like age of brewer or alcohol content of brews. Not being able to sell your beer or make profits from it is obviously another law though I haven't the exact wording of the law.

This question is just out of curiosity.

Thanbks for any info, David.

Distillation of alcohol of course is illegal... this includes freeze distilling (a.k.a. eis'ing).

I think it is a bit like weed in Holland - it is illegal to do it - but the police just don't care. I don't think there will be any police effort being put behind measuring the amount of beer brewed in backyards (unless they found out we were selling it)

Don't tell anyone, but, only 10 days ago I had 3 fermenters sitting in my laundry bubbling away. But after reading that... I've only got one now lol. I swear. lol. :lol:

Don't tell anyone, but, only 10 days ago I had 3 fermenters sitting in my laundry bubbling away. But after reading that... I've only got one now lol. I swear. lol. :lol:

I have 3 going at all times. Each one is a week apart. It is only just keeping me with a steady supply. I am considering a couple more to try to get some stocks up.

Distillation of spirits and the law pretty much summed up here.

http://www.ato.gov.au/print.asp?doc=/content/66216.htm

Homebrew, the kits and the equipment used to make it is banned in Lockhart River, Aurukun & Mornington Island Queensland. I gather there are a few bans in other spots around Oz.

http://www.atsip.qld.gov.au/communities/al.../home-brew.html

In terms of limits on your batch, couldn't find anything after some pretty extensive googling. We'd need someone who knows their way around a legal database methinks.

Hopper.

Homebrew, the kits and the equipment used to make it is banned in Lockhart River, Aurukun & Mornington Island Queensland. I gather there are a few bans in other spots around Oz.

http://www.atsip.qld.gov.au/communities/al.../home-brew.html

Absolutely. I believe all the Aboriginal Land councils have that rule to control some of the associates issue. They also have limits on the type and strength of alcoholic beverage that you can take into those area's - as well as limits on the amounts.

Guess I'll just stay home with my fermenter and kegs :D

There's a bit about it in Wikipedia if you search on home brewing. Apparently it was common in Victoria in the 1960s for police to stake out home brew shops, follow you home, and raid your laundry! Nowadays of course they would just shoot you. :p

I note that distilling is legal in NZ - has this led to widespread dissolution of society?? Wouldn't interest me since I drank a whole bottle of Scotch when I was 15 to see what would happen, spent 4 days in bed groaning and throwing up and to this day all spirits taste like petrol to me. :blink:

1'st law of homebrew : Always Stir Clockwise

1'st law of homebrew : Always Stir Clockwise

"The first law of homebrew is that you do not talk about homebrew."

--Tyler Durden
:p

(love that movie, perhaps we need a favourite movie thread here?)

22L per week.
That was the info I was after as I'm sure I read something about it ages ago but forgot what the actual allowable volume was.
That would be a very good explaination as to where the magic 23L brews came about - 1L to waste and 22L to conform to the legislation...

That would be a very good explaination as to where the magic 23L brews came about - 1L to waste and 22L to conform to the legislation...

Actually the 23 L came from kits being made in the UK.

23L = 5 UK(Imperial) Gallons = 40 UK pints.

This was the quantity a kit would produce.

Yeah, wouldnt surprise me if the law was decided on the most common batch size at the time.

23L = 5 UK(Imperial) Gallons = 40 UK pints.

:eek: f*&^ck me! My mother back in blighty would have a fit if she new I drank 40 Pints a week. Im actually taken aback as Ive never really thought about it.

I would never drink 40 pints a week, thats a ridiculous amount.......I drink 80 halves. :lol:

Back