Homebrew Books

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wax

Reaction score
Has anyone read "Homebrewing for dummies" by Marty Nachel? Would it be worth purchasing?

looks like a decent book - i've only flipped through it in the shop.
how to brew is probably a better "dummy" book.

radical brewing by randy mosher is my current fave

cant go past Beer Captured...excellent

GMK said:
cant go past Beer Captured...excellent
Do you know who wrote that one Ken? I can't find it on Angus & Robertson's database.

Wax said:
Has anyone read "Homebrewing for dummies" by Marty Nachel? Would it be worth purchasing?
Hi Wax,
If you can find it at amazon.com they usually have readers reviews about the book.

cheers

beer captured is a great book, you wont get it at ango & robbo's though. i had to order it from amazon. it's by tess and mark szamatulski. (think i spelt that right?)

if youre in sydney you should check out the beerbooks at kinokuniya in the city. they've got new lager brewing, radical brewing, papazian, heaps of other beer books.

Nice... I'll be heading down there shortly

That is one big book store !!! I picked up Radical Brewing :) . Those guys do have a decent selection. Thanks neonmeate.

Must admit I find it hard to get excited by the 100 Clone Brews/Beer captured books.

The first one gives the same mash temperature for bar one of the clone recipes! A quick flick through the second seemed to show the same story.

Two-three years ago I borrowed "Clone Brews" from Grumpys and wrote down their weizenbock recipe, then went through Daniels "Designing Great Beers" chapter on wheat beers and hugely revised/added to that base recipe to end up with a beer got me a Silver Certificate at the NHC (31/50)

The final recipe bore little resemblance to the Clone Brews one. So I would treat those books as a source of recipes for extract/part mash brews but not to use it as a source of complete recipes for full mash brews.

Of course, that is just me.

What is the radical brewing book like?

Jovial Monk

Apparently the writing of the beer captured book was sponsored by Wyeast? B) That's why its the only choice offered in all the recipes. Not that it bothers me...

neonmeate said:
radical brewing by randy mosher is my current fave
Yeah, I'd pay that one Neonmeate. Radical Brewing is a handsomely put together package with somethinig in it for most brewers - part history, part how to, part recipe collection (without a clone in sight - unless you count the Fallen Angel Strong Ale as a Duvel Clone). Mine has easily the most read look of all my brew books.
And with chapters like Big Honkin' Brews, Tooting your Fruit and Bent Beers, I am sure you would love it Tom ;)
Wax I've got the Nachel book too and again I'd agree with Neon - Palmer's How to Brew is a much better primer. Nachel does have a lot of recipes to get you thinking, but here it really betrays its U.S. origins with chinook or cascade creeping into everything from English Bitter to Irish Stout and German Pilsner.

Still hoping Santa will bring me Daniel's Designing Great Beers.

Wee Stu, Daniel's book is also massively US inspired.
A very long but interesting read, mostly made up of anaysing the ingredients and procedures of the homebrews that got into the second round of some US homebrewing comp, from memory.

i won a book in one of the Canberra Brewers Home Brew comps - it was for my wee heavy scotish strong ale.

it is called "Secrets from the Master Brewers"

It is american where he interviews various famous American Micro Brewery head Brewer, eg Greg Noonan, Bill Owens, Keith Vila etc
Talks about their methods and how that got into the industry - tips etc, they also give recipes for some of their famous brews.
It is quite good - only thing lacking IMHO is that there is no description of the beer taste in th erecipes.
it IS fairly informative.

forget that book I have it and it just gathers dust to light on most subjects

sintax

neonmeate said:
if youre in sydney you should check out the beerbooks at kinokuniya in the city. they've got new lager brewing, radical brewing, papazian, heaps of other beer books.
What a great bookshop.
Didn't know it existed until your post neon.
Went up at lunchtime and bought their last copy of Radical Brewing. Looks like a great read.

Also looking forward to getting a new book that is being release end of the month Farmhouse Ales which will be book 1 of 3 in a Belgian brewing series.
There is some background info on it here and it will ship from Amazon five days earlier than from Beertown.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
bought their last copy of Radical Brewing. Looks like a great read.
Mine's certainly looking dog eared and well thumbed, it is an enjoable read. Just make sure you check out the web site Radical Brewing for the many errata!!

Doc said:
neonmeate said:
What a great bookshop.
Didn't know it existed until your post neon.
Went up at lunchtime and bought their last copy of Radical Brewing. Looks like a great read.

Also looking forward to getting a new book that is being release end of the month Farmhouse Ales which will be book 1 of 3 in a Belgian brewing series.
There is some background info on it here and it will ship from Amazon five days earlier than from Beertown.

Beers,
Doc
woah, i've got to get that farmhouse book!
markowski is a brewing god, southhampton is at the top of my list for my next beerholiday...my buddy was just in the states and brought me back one of their "grand cru strong ales" that looks verrrry nice and is ageing away out of reach under my house until my 30th birthday party in a year and a bit.
i'd love some inside info on saison and bire de garde. right! looks like the credit card's taking another beating...

neonmeate said:
woah, i've got to get that farmhouse book!
markowski is a brewing god, southhampton is at the top of my list for my next beerholiday...my buddy was just in the states and brought me back one of their "grand cru strong ales" that looks verrrry nice and is ageing away out of reach under my house until my 30th birthday party in a year and a bit.
i'd love some inside info on saison and bire de garde. right! looks like the credit card's taking another beating...
Pre-ordered mine on Amazon this afternoon B)

Beers,
Doc

I will wait for positive feed back ;)

Back