Homebrand Starters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murray

Beer bear.
Reaction score
Jayse, how did you go with the cheap supermarket tin for starters?

sorry still haven't done it
iam gunna spend the extra few bucks and using very fresh coopers draught from bigw. Reasons are bigw have a quick turn out of these cans and should be the freshest you can get.

Still haven't work out a plan of action. The best way i can think is make up the can in 10 litres for a 1.052 wort then seperate it into 10 x 1 litre coke bottles and save in the fridge.
when iam ready to use one i'll tip it into my starter flask and mix in 500mls of hot water for a o.g of 1.035.
another option is to actaully save it like like the old wifes presserve fruit etc in jars so it can keep out of the fridge.

anyway as you can see i don't have any tips yet.

The yanks are always 'canning" stuff, like wort, in glass jars that are then water bath processed.

I buy a kilo of light extract and use that to make starters, but might start doing what one brewrat does: on his brewdays, after he has sparge the volume he wants, he sparges a litre or two extra, pours it into icecube trays and freezes it. Microwave a couple if wortcubes, voila, instant starter!

Stay away from the homebrand stuff: probably has lots of unmalted barley syrups, and your yeast does best on maltose

Jovial Monk

yep thats the other reason i don't want to use the homebrand cans.
got to look after them yeasties don't feed em poop.

Thanks. I was curious since I'll be running low on DME soon.

Back