Home Roasted Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stupid question timeIs there any reason not to try roasting cracked grain? :blink:

I've never roasted my grain before but I don't think it would be a good idea to roast pre-crushed grain. The whole grain would provide a more even roast to the endosperm as the husk is a layer of protection/insulation.

Pre crushed grain is made up of particles of many different sizes and some would roast/burn quicker than others. It would be very hard to judge how long to roast to provide an 'even' colour. I would imagine the roasting times would have to be reduced and maybe even the temperature.

Just my thoughts.....

edit: DJR go there first!

Stupid question timeIs there any reason not to try roasting cracked grain? :blink:

I've never roasted my grain before but I don't think it would be a good idea to roast pre-crushed grain. The whole grain would provide a more even roast to the endosperm as the husk is a layer of protection/insulation.

Pre crushed garin is made up of particles of many different sizes and some would roast/burn quicker than others. It would be very hard to judge how long to roast to provide an 'even' colour. I would imagine the roasting times wold have to be reduced and maybe even the temperature.

Just my thoughts.....

I would also think that roasting crushed grain would result in some accelerated oxidation of the grain components. Just a guess though.

Ok, I'll buy some whole grain, roast it, chuck it in a pillowcase and smash it with a hammer :super:

PZ.

Well, I swung by the HBS today for some Munich and after a quick look around Colin (the proprietor) finds that he doesn't have any pre-crushed grain bagged and and will have to mill it on the spot for me.

Beauty, asked him to leave out 150g of it from the crush and took it home in a seperate bag :D

Roasted it this arvo in a foil-lined tray at around 200c for somehwhere in the range of 10-12 minutes, mixed about a few times during the roast.

Broken open it has a "caramel" colour inside and smells great...in fact now the whole house smells great :super:

Planned an 11.5 litre batch all-Munich Ale this arvo including the 150g of stuff I roasted, but couldn't do it...maybe tomorrow...yummy :chug:

PZ.

*edit* - won't need a hammer to break it apart either, as the grain is now super-brittle :)

Go for it Stuster, I roasted some malt to make a brown malt for my porter, smelt fantastic. I used the malt straight away and the porter is great. Huge difference using freshly roasted grains, they give off a lot of aroma too.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew,

Thinking of having a go at this. Can you give us any insights as to your grain roasting techniques/times/temperatures, etc or are they classified? :p

:beer:

Andrew,

Thinking of having a go at this. Can you give us any insights as to your grain roasting techniques/times/temperatures, etc or are they classified? :p

I can't take any credit for the method Pete, here it is in PDF
View attachment Roasting_Malt.pdf
Sadly my old gas oven was not really up to the task and my times and temps were a bit all over the place which is why I don't expect great results in the mash paddle comp. :lol: . But the above file will give you a great start.

Cheers
Andrew
PS see you on saturday :chug:

Andrew,

Thinking of having a go at this. Can you give us any insights as to your grain roasting techniques/times/temperatures, etc or are they classified?

I can't take any credit for the method Pete, here it is in PDF
View attachment 9455
Sadly my old gas oven was not really up to the task and my times and temps were a bit all over the place which is why I don't expect great results in the mash paddle comp. :lol: . But the above file will give you a great start.

Cheers
Andrew
PS see you on saturday :chug:

Looks the goods Andrew. Many thanks.

Drinking a recent brew made using some of this stuff.

The grain bill was 3kg all up (small batch) and included in this was 250g of home roasted Pilsener malt.

Having only done this one successful AG to date (dammned incorrect thermometer), I'm not sure if the roasted malt is the issue, but it's got a really strong flavour to it...only really evident as an aftertatse and nearly impossible for me to explain, only that it is somewhat similar a flavour I perceive in JS Amber Ale, just HEAPS stronger!

Excuse my ignorance, but would this be the roasted malt I'm tasting?

PZ.

I haven't yet brewed with home roasted malt but I've done quite a bit of roasting and comparative tasting of the grains to get an idea of the likely results.
It didn't take excessive roasting for the flavours to get very sharp. They are quite mellow up to about an hour and a half of gentle roasting at about 100C but two additional half hours at 125C & 150C gave them a strong flavour and bitter notes to the point where when I finally get around to using them I will not use any more than about 1% of the longest roasted grain.
I would guess the 'amberness' could well be the roasted grain.
At what temps and durations did you roast?

I used the temps/times for the darkest buff from the instructions download posted earlier in this thread.

250g is just over 8% of 3kg, so going by what you have said I used WAAAY too much :lol:

PZ.

I used the temps/times for the darkest buff from the instructions download posted earlier in this thread.

250g is just over 8% of 3kg, so going by what you have said I used WAAAY too much :lol:

PZ.

I think I'd agree. :D

I used the following roasting schedule for JW Pale:

First batch 30m @ 75C - Really just a drying of the malt. Flavours (of the grain) are bready to gentle biscuit.
Second - additional 30m @ 100C - Biscuit is evident; some acidic sweetness.
Third - additional 30m @ 125C - Toasted flavours dominant.
Fourth - additional 30m @ 125C - A late bitter sweetness tending toward acrid.
Fifth - additional 30m @ 150C - dry roasted with an almost astringent finish. Not quite as harsh as roasted barley or chocolate malt but heading in that direction. Colour is way short of either of those however.

I'm planning a Home Roasted Ale at some stage which will probably have about 16% of the grist made up of Batch 1, 8% batch 2, 4% batch 3, 2% batch 4 and 1% batch 5.

If I remember I'll post and let you know how it goes. Don't hold your breath though. I've been thinking about this for a few months and I can't see a gap in the schedule until the new year.
:(

Fifth - additional 30m @ 150C - dry roasted with an almost astringent finish. Not quite as harsh as roasted barley or chocolate malt but heading in that direction. Colour is way short of either of those however.

Bingo, that's a fairly good description of what I used.

Since we've sorted out that the grain was certainly the issue with my beer, I can now safely say that it is dangerous in anything but miniscule quantities!!!! :D

PZ.

Just dredging up an old topic!
I'm working on a dark wheat bock (dunkel weizenbock / Erdinger Pikantus clone) and I've got no choc wheat...
Has anybody out there roasted whole wheat malt and made their own choc wheat?
I'm figuring that an hour at 200C as GLS suggests in his article here would do it?

Any comments... :blink:
Cheers,
TL

Latest posts

Back