Home Made Thermostat - Ts-040s

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was planning to purchase the componets this afternoon - could possibly have some pics on the net tonight

NOTE: I am not electrically minded by any means.

I recently bought a TS040 and managed to install without any grief whatsoever. I unplugged the fridge, removed the existing thermostat(Noting wire colour and pole locations). I rewired the TS-040 using the same poles and stood back and hit the switch with a broom handle ;) . Voila! Also a forum search delivers wiring diagrams etc. If in doubt, phone your supplier when wiring to confirm correct poles.

Hi Guys,

Picked up yesterday the Tobin thermostat and today the remaining components. I was going to take a couple of photos however by the time you start it is almost finished!!

Justin's wiring diagram is great and easy to follow - if anyone is thinking of making one.

Anyway - plugged it in and it appears to be working - I'll check the temp later on tonight and calibrate the probe against the dial over the next few days. :)

Looking forward to now no more frozen beer (it has happened twice this winter......)

Thanks to all the AHB's who support and respond to people's e-mails - I have definitely appreciated the information and help. :D

Regards

markws

Picture.jpg

Ah the joy of being a craft brewer in Australia.
You end up being a part time electrician, part time plumber, part time computer nerd, part time gardener, part time chemist and sometimes even a part time welder. Of course not to forget the brewing part :lol:

Beers,
Doc

What a good thread!!

I'm no electrician, but I do know that electricity can kill ya!
However, there's enough detail in here to give me the confidence to add this controller to my keg fridge - and I really need to get the temp of that fridge under control.

Thanks everyone, especially MAH for the info and pics and Justin for the sparker info...

Now, where's that insulated screwdriver !! :ph34r:
Cheers,
TL

Dumb question time!
Regarding the female GPO and the thermostat and dial in the utility box - do they have mounting lugs or do they simply sit in the holes I'm gonna drill in the utility box? I'm sure they need to be fixed in place rather than rattle around in the box, but what's the easiest way for a total non-electrician like me to fit them in the box? Glue or screw?

TL

the gpo should have screws & the thermostat will have a locknut. u probably should solder the wires to the thermo but the gpo will also have screw termination. check the pics.

If youve got the Tobins jobbie....there is lugs(spade connectors) for the wiring, 2 screws hold the body of the thermo in the jiffy box(not squeezing too tight).

For the female gpo..I left a length of cable off it and held it in place with a gland fitting on the outside and a cabe tie on the inside of the box.
At worse drop me a PM, The Macarthur and the Capital aint that far apart, Ive put several together for different brewers here(Total about $60)

Mah / Jason

Thanks guys.
I was looking at buying a thermostat but now I think I will build one.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers

Sipan
:beer:

Latest posts

Back