Home Made Party Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sosman

beerling
Reaction score
I have made a 5 litre party keg out of a plastic garden sprayer.

All the details at:
brewiki: Party Keg

Here is a closeup of the business end:
PartyKegFittings.jpg

Nice Work!

I've got my eyes on a couple of old foamicide cylinders they use at the abattoir for cleaning. they are like a 50l rheem keg on wheels.

Does it work well?

Nice work sosman, I've been looking at these sprayers lately for the exact purpose mentioned above, but I really like the ball lock disconnect idea. I was trying to think how I would get around it but you've shown one great method for achieving this. Top stuff anyway.

justin

timmy said:
I've got my eyes on a couple of old foamicide cylinders they use at the abattoir for cleaning. they are like a 50l rheem keg on wheels.
A 50L keg on wheels would be quite a talking point at a party.

i did something similar. instead of using the q.d etc i drilled a hole near where the lid screws in. put in the tire value there.

i took out the hand pump and got a toilet repair thingy from the hardware shop. with a bit of an effort i sealed the hole for the hand pump.

i also used aquairium grade selastic (sp) to seal the crappy one-way value. the last thing i did use to cut away the hose and and put on 6mm clear tube and a cobra tap. (where sosman put his value) and used a clamp to make sure the beer doesn't leak from the pressure.

will report later as i'll be trying it out this weekend.
:chug:

do you have a pic by anychance? and where do you get them?

$20 BUCKS!!!!!!!! Jesus!!! I paid $2.60AUS for mine when I bought a couple from Brewers Discount (http://www.brewersdiscount.com/item5073.ctlg). I would refuse to pay $20 for one. Far out, I hope your just having a wild guess at what they cost because if your paying this much for one your getting taken to the cleaners. To order one tap alone with postage from the states would cost far less than $20.

Most US brew shops sell them and you can find a heap of online places selling them. Worst case scenario i would think would be $4-$5US.

Just my thoughts, but that's where I would get one (along with some other goodies to make it worthwhile ;) )

Justin

i did something similar. instead of using the q.d etc i drilled a hole near where the lid screws in. put in the tire value there.

I did the same thing too..

But another way (you can kill two birds with the one stone) is buy two ss body washers and use the tyre valve to clamp the two washers either side of the cap to seal the pump hole.... :)

Asher for now

cool, that sounds a bit easier then bloody drill holes

did you remove part of the plunger shaft so that you can squirt in the co2??

i also used aquairium grade selastic (sp) to seal the crappy one-way value. the last thing i did use to cut away the hose and and put on 6mm clear tube and a cobra tap. (where sosman put his value) and used a clamp to make sure the beer doesn't leak from the pressure.

Hey how about a pic?

As for the toilet repair stuff - I didn't know turds could be so hard to chip the porcelain. Sheesh, that would make your eyes water.

But another way (you can kill two birds with the one stone) is buy two ss body washers and use the tyre valve to clamp the two washers either side of the cap to seal the pump hole

Hey that's a good idea. Or if you couldn't live without the quick disconnect, you could use the two washer trick but clamp it with brass nuts and nipple (sounds like a name for a brothel) and then attach the QD to the top.

:lol: i think the brass nipple is just up the road :lol:

if i can sort out a camera i'll get a pic posted

Anyone with ideas on what will glue hdpe (polyethylene)? :huh: I have tried silicone, superglue, araldite ...just can get it to hold pressure when I put gas on the sprayer!! :blink: :wacko: Had about 10 attempts now ...its driving me bonkers! :excl:

it leaks from the main opening ...I originally thought I could remove and adapt the screw in pump to take an air tool quick connect - this is where it all comes tumbling down! :(

I don't have access to a lathe ...and i'm trying to do it on the cheap (from bits and pieces around the house).

I'll probably go down the 10L post mix keg road if I don't have better luck with the plastic. ;)

Jimmy,
Sorry, you cant glue polyproplyene or polyethylene (believe me I worked with plastics for 30 years) Find a plastics welder in the yellow pages and take it there. Its probably a ten minute job.

Back